Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tractors And Insurance

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Tractors And Insurance

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Just bought myself a 1977 John Deere 2130 tractor and power loader to keep my Ferguson TE20 company.
Any recommendations for insurance, I always used to use the NFU but I had a falling out with them when they cancelled the insurance on my Fergie as they said using a topper on my own field was a commercial activity and invalidated my 'Classic Tractor' policy which, according to the idiot agent on the phone, was for ploughing matches, road runs and static displays only even though it does not say that in the policy wording!
The tractors will be used for topping, hay making and logging on my own land.
Wendelspanswick

Re: Tractors And Insurance

Postby Bearwood » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Walker Midgley is your best bet. Costs me about £50 p/a to cover my TED-20, two furrow plough, transport box etc. All in the value for the lot is approaching £3k, so maybe you could calculate your premium based upon that.

The premium covers use for Agriculture, Social, Domestic and Rallying purposes on road or field (wood). They'll insure pretty much anything from an MG crawler to a living van.

http://www.walkermidgley.co.uk/Home.asp
Bearwood

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Hello I have a quad insured by NFU but they will only insure as tractor as agricultural vehicle if I also hold my truck (Hilux) insurance with them

They are not the cheapest but replacement for quad would be £5k plus

Between a rock and a hard place (what ever that means)
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Meadowcopse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Funny you should mention an MG Crawler, I just happen to have one in the yard needing a bit of restoration...

I have a Kubota Tractor and Winget 3tonne dumper both with the NFU Mutual on one policy as agricultural machines for agricultural use (including mowing, but not forestry, as I have a lot more grass than trees)...

I also have the Landrover Defender with them for social domestic and business (including with a trailer).

The House structure, contents and plot public liability are on another policy with them.

I've found them reasonably straightforward to deal with, directly at the local NFU agent office and the policy limitations have been outlined, clarified or amended to suit.
Meadowcopse

Return to General