Small Woodland Owners' Group

Ben Law's book - Woodsman

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Ben Law's book - Woodsman

Postby smojo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:09 pm

As a newbie there's not much I can give yet but in case you haven't heard of, or read this book I can recommend it. For those who don't know who Ben Law is, he was the guy featured on Grand Designs who worked in the woods making charcoal and built his own beautiful house there. I stumbled across the book in the library and literally couldn't put it down when I got home. He has a fantastic outlook on sustainable living and planting trees which produce edible fruit and nuts for our future generations. Try and find a copy to read. I'm sure you'll enjoy and learn from it.
smojo

Re: Ben Law's book - Woodsman

Postby Patandsam » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Really nice house he built.
Patandsam

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Other books that we've found useful or interesting and which have helped us on our way: -

"Woodland: A Practical Handbook" and "Tree Planting & Aftercare: a practical guide" by Elizabeth Agate, and others published by BTCV.

By Julian Evans,
"A Wood of Our Own",
"Badgers, Beeches and Blisters: Getting started in your own wood",
"What Happened to Our Wood"
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:50 pm

There are several excellent free download ebooks. The forestry Commission have many useful guides, such as managing ancient woods. Google 'forestry commission pdf'. There's loads.

Woodlands have a very good guide which despite the title, covers many useful basic background woodland facts. Good read;

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/owning-a-wood/managing-your-woodland-for-wildlife
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 pm

thanks - interesting read.
smojo

Return to General