Small Woodland Owners' Group

Gold find

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Gold find

Postby smudge » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Noticed in today's paper someone in America found 10 million dollars worth of gold coins under a tree makes you think what's under some of our trees have a metal detector so when I've got a few spare hours might go digging???
smudge

Re: Gold find

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:56 pm

the coins were valued at $27,000 but the rarety of them meant they could fetch a lot more, I too have a decent metal detector and will be searching our woods, and most probably a few others plots with a 50/50 split, the area around our woods has recently had a £60,000 anglo saxon haul found, including a chainmail vest with precious stones, our woods date back before 1645, so fingers crossed,lol
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:27 pm

If anyone does turn up any coins, let me know. I am able to identify them and give you an accurate market value. Its been a bit of an obsession of mine for many years, and I've been lucky to handle some very rare, interesting and valuable coins. As Dexter says, the usual arrangement with a detector is if you agree the landowners consent to detect theres usually a 50-50 split between finder and landowner. Hoards need to be declared to the local coroner and an inquest held to establish the owner. Value always depends on rarity and condition. Few coins from the last couple of centuries have much value unless gold. Sovereigns are currently about £200. Roman coins are also common and low value. Where you do get into big money is my field of interest which is medieval coins. Pennies issued between the years 800-1300 were small, silver, the only currency used and a fascinating series. Most have the name of the King, the town where they were minted and often the guy who struck them. Rare ones in choice condition can be worth many thousands. If you do find any coins, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN THEM, other than a gentle wash with soapy water. Scrubbing them or trying a polish on them can ruin them. Below is a groat (4d) of Edward the First (Longshanks) I once owned, from the year 1279. Very very rare, I eventually accepted an offer from an American of nearly £20,000. It was a useful contribution towards buying the wood !

combined groat.jpg

As a footnote, having come to notoriety having once made a rather celebrated little archaeological find myself, I was introduced at a coin show to one Stephen Fenton. He holds the world record for price acheived for a single coin- over $7 Million for a famous American 1933 $20 gold 'double eagle'.

Happy digging !
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 am

oldclaypaws wrote: I once owned, from the year 1279.!

I knew you was old, but thats really old :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 am

thats really old

The secret of my wearing exceptionally well seems to be avoiding direct sunlight, as such a very shady wood is a great place to nooze during the day with my pet bats, although I do get thirsty in the evenings. Occasionally I get hassled by religious types wearing crucifixes and have never liked garlic, but that apart I find a splosh of Oil of Ulay now and then, and I'm not doing bad for a Novemcentenarian. :twisted:

having once made a rather celebrated little archaeological find myself

The archaeologist was well surprised when he dug me up. :o
oldclaypaws

Postby jennysmate » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:26 pm

OCP
Have you ever thought about writing an autobiography, you sound like youve had a fascinating life, so far? I always enjoy your stories here.
jennysmate

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Sounds like you'd fit in well at the occasional Goth club I end up in Oldclaypaws - hope any wild garlic doesn't cause you too much trouble in the woods...

I dropped in on my plot one day last year, spotted someone walking along the hedgeline and a small van parked across my gate. Strangely no sign of anyone coming to move the van. Tooted the horn, still no sign of anyone (odd considering I'm sure I'd seen someone from the road), made overdramatic gestures of removing large heavy tow-rope from the back of the Landrover and was positioning it for making unhindered access, when a guy appeared along the track.
He was keen to move the van out of the way - unfortunately his mate holding 2 metal detectors appeared at the end of the track, so a polite but challenging conversation ensued:
"Oh we've got permission off the guy in the big house, do you work for him?"
"No, but I was wondering what you were doing in my field"
"Ah, just walking through into the big field through the gap in the hedge, we were here last year, the guy in the house said it was fine..."
"Oh really, I'll just phone him to check, but I'll also phone the farmer that owns the field you were digging in too"
"Erm, we were just going anyway, nothing was showing up and I think one of the detectors is faulty anyway..."

It's not so much the lying, but the fact that a local archaeological society is doing a coordinated community project for a nearby ruined castle (immediate grounds being a protected scheduled ancient monument). Any finds in the surrounding landscape add an important context to the Mediaeval castle, a Roman villa, a 'lost' river crossing and the whereabouts of a lost battle site that saw the demise of Edward the Elder.
The local landowners have an informal agreement with the local history society for coordinated access and surveys and geophysics etc.

I let the local plod know the reg of the van on the 101 number...
Meadowcopse

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:24 pm

I bought my detector many many moons ago, probably in my early twenty's, joined a club and on my first outing with a few older members, found this coin, they were all a bit miffed as they had all searched this particular field before and not found it first, and they also said it was a year or two before they had found anything decent when first starting out, it became so "clicky" that the detector was put away in a cupboard, between then and now I have seen many hobbies come and go, but the metal detector was the only item I never sold on, always thought I would use it again in my later years, so I think it's time to start searching again

here's my single find, dont know if my camera phone has taken a decent enough picture claypaws

Dexter's Shed

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Looks impressive Dexters Shed - Edward something?
Meadowcopse

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Meadowcopse encountered a couple of rogues who give metal detecting its mixed reputation. Detecting or disturbing a scheduled site is illegal- even if you own it. Often these types appear near archaeological digs or ancient monuments in the twilight hours, being referred to as 'nighthawks'. Whatever they find will end up on Ebay or being tooted to shady dealers, their motivation is purely profit and if they find anything the historic context is lost. You were right to report them.

Of course quite how our large respected National institutions acquired many of their exhibits is not entirely beyond reproach. Some years ago I inherited a large elaborately carved piece of marble sculpture from a friend, and was disturbed to find it had been 'rescued' by him from the Agora, the marketplace and world heritage site next to the Acropolis in Athens, during the Greek civil war. I returned it promptly for free to the Greeks and its now on display in their new Museum in Athens, I've a letter of gratitude from the Minister of Culture. They invited me over for a holiday and tour of the ancient sites, which I was forced to decline at the time. They were rather keen to put me in front of TV cameras to film the return of the piece, hoping it might set an example to the British Museum who still contentiously have a firm grip on Lord Elgin's 'holiday souvenirs'.
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to General