Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wood birthdays

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Wood birthdays

Postby SitkaSpruce » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:14 pm

I note AndyM mentions spending the day in the wood for his birthday. It's what I choose to do too if I can. Is this a general thing for SWOG members? Is your wood your birthday place of choice?
SitkaSpruce

Re: Wood birthdays

Postby TerryH » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Happy birthday AndyM.. have a wonderful woody day!

Have only had our place for one year. Was working in an office somewhere on my last birthday .. was probably dreaming of being in the woods though.
TerryH

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:15 pm

yup, birthdays in the wood, oh and wood anniversary's (1yr tomorrow) and wedding anniversary's, oh and most weekends, prob xmas day too, have I missed any :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby smudge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Spent Christmas Day out my woods last time I had an open fire was in my childhood cooked roast dinner & had a great time so different to usual Xmas birds were pleased to see me as filled up all the feeders as we'll sooooooooo quiet will do again next year,
smudge

Postby Woodsmith » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Yep, my 60th is on the 28th of this month, no place I would rather spend the day, having a spot of 'Shinrin-yoku' :D
Woodsmith

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Found a rather good video on Shinrin-Yoku. Seems to be a similar philosophy as Tea Ceremony, without the Tea. Or Ceremony. -But the effects are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUfbMIGcxkM&feature=player_embedded
oldclaypaws

Postby jennysmate » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:01 am

Well what do you know, I've been doing shinrin yoku most of my life, without all that psycho- babble.
I try to spend birthdays, anniversaries, solstices and equinoxes in my wood. No other place I'd rather be.
jennysmate

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:59 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Found a rather good video on Shinrin-Yoku. Seems to be a similar philosophy as Tea Ceremony, without the Tea. Or Ceremony. -But the effects are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUfbMIGcxkM&feature=player_embedded

thank god you posted that clip ocp, I'd heard about forest bathing and thought I'd give it a go, but have been taking all my clothes off, did make me wonder why those hikers ran off screaming
Dexter's Shed

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:08 pm

The anniversary of my plot acquisition falls halfway through the couple of days between the anniversary of my divorce and midsummer (ironically my wedding anniversary date).
The divorce allowed me to put plot purchase back on track as a possibility, as a single one off payment and a few years of 'getting by', bought me freedom from the constant haemorrhage of cash.
As I sit (alone) amongst trees on the anniversary, I like to think in contemplation that all these years later the tranquil sounds of nature haven't been blighted in the slightest by any feelings of bitterness... ;-)
Meadowcopse

Postby Andy M » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks to all for good birthday wishes.

We had a very happy contented day in the wwoods - temperature up to 13 deg C for the first time this year. Did some steady work clearing a couple of fallen trees and planning a "woodland ride" to make better use of the area under the 11000 volt cables where the electricity board cut every few years. Hope to encourage more butterflies etc on the woodland edge and also have a few Christmas trees for family use.

I expect you all know the experience of "a warm contented glow".
Andy M

Return to General