Small Woodland Owners' Group

Ecological disaster in the Lakes

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Ecological disaster in the Lakes

Postby William323 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:38 pm

While Old Clay Paws would have you believe people going for a party in the woods is the ultimate environmental disaster some others have different ideas.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 79083.html
Despite his best efforts to scare people off I have two offers of land :)
William323

Re: Ecological disaster in the Lakes

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:01 pm

I have read the article and I don't understand the point you are trying to make, what does a party in the woods and rewilding the Lake District have to do with each other?
Wendelspanswick

Postby smojo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:23 am

Maybe it's a party of drunken wild sheep
smojo

Postby Patandsam » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:19 am

Sheep have been a part of Lakeland life for centuries and the old hill farmers are valued hardy characters. Our big problems started with the opening of the M6. The nice considerate long stay visitors are really important to the economy but what causes big problems are periods like bank holidays when hundreds of thousands of people all try to get to the same honeypots like Ambleside or Windermere for just a day or weekend, without thinking about how it impacts on the people who live here all the time. They dont shop here either, they bring all there food and excess drink from their local Asda. The result is traffic jams, litter, noise, loose dogs, erosion, trampled undergrowth, lost and injured idiots who dont dress right or prepare. And of course theres loads who get bitten by snakes. The locals then have to spend days sorting out the mess and debris they leave. Its the sort of chaos you would get if you suddenly had hundreds of people in the wrong inappropriate place all at once.............like in a small woodland for example.
Patandsam

Return to General