Small Woodland Owners' Group

Lyme/Borreliosis in Humans

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby James M » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:28 pm

My old method involved shouting at them in horror, jumping up and down and basically punching the affected area until the tick was mashed. I have also used meths externally and large amounts of Stella Artois internally. All those methods left the ticks mouth parts still embedded in my skin.

The methods you suggest have all been recommended but can distress the tick (a distressed tick, now there's a thought) and cause it to regurgitate it's stomach contents - that's how the infection is passed on.

It needs to to be swift and the tick needs to off before it realises whats happening. If you are really stuck a length of fine cotton in an overhand loop tightened quickly right down next the the skin and yanked away quickly can do the trick.

Ugh, hate the things.

I'm fighting off an image of you dealing with a tick latched on behind your ear. No, I won't go there.

James M

Postby tracy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks to the RFS newsletter which has brought this topic up again.

Are you ‘tick aware’?

The peak season for ticks is approaching, and the UK’s Lyme disease charity,

BADA-UK, is warning field workers and members of the public to take precautions

to prevent the tick-borne disease.

Ticks carry Borreliosis (Lyme disease) and are found throughout the UK, particularly

in areas of good ground cover and diverse wildlife. Field workers are recommended to

carry a tick remover and antiseptic wipes, and should check themselves regularly.

Leaflets, posters and details of Tick Prevention Week (12-18 April), can be found

at www.tickpreventionweek.org.

The Health Protection Agency says there has been a year-on-year increase in

Lyme disease, with around 3000 cases per year. The disease can lead to serious

complications, including damage to the nervous system, joints, heart and other

tissue. For more on this disease, see www.bada-uk.org.

tracy

Previous

Return to General