Small Woodland Owners' Group

Cost of felling

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby jillybean » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi Paul, Welcome to the site. Felling Trees near a road is more risky than felling deep in a wood as far as 3rd party accidents are concerned, you would have to pay someone. Traffic lights, cones, or even detours must be approved by the Council, having said that there may be someone local who wants the wood for themselves and is willing to do the work. try www.Woodnet.org/woodlots for local timber merchants who may be able to point you in the right direction.

jillybean

Postby John H » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi Paul

I think for such a small area the standing trees will have little value.

You may be lucky and find a firewood merchant who would fell them for the wood.

What part of the country are you in?

Why do they need felling?

John

John H

Postby DaveTaz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:02 pm

contact local forestry contractors, you may find some one willing to buy it off you as standing timber, ie thet will cut and remove it

Don't forget felling licence

DaveTaz

Postby jillybean » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Youre looking at a lot of money, if theres a risk of the trees damaging or blocking something as they fall. I was quoted £500 by someone to drop a tree

on my boundary, as it involved hiring traffic lights for the day. Its Impossible to say without seeing the Job.

jillybean

Postby tracy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:57 am

What part of the country are you in Paul, that might help us to recommend someone.

tracy

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 am

best to get a few quotes. It's impossible to tell how much it would cost without seeing it. It might be worth planking the timber and selling some of the wood to a local wood turners group. There are always green woodworkers looking for wood. This might help you get some of the cost back.

Darren

Return to General