Small Woodland Owners' Group

May - what have I done this month?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby docsquid » Tue May 18, 2010 7:17 am

Well, I'll start this off because nobody else has posted their activities for May.

At our woods it has been a busy month. Although the woodland work is decreasing, we're starting to get the community groups using the wood. We've had visits from one of the local forest schools, and a blubell walk for Tamworth Wildilfe Group. This week we will be visited by the local Beaver Scouts and we're having another open day on Sunday 23rd. There is also a Wild About Tamworth event on 22nd when we'll have a stand.

In terms of work at the wood, we've been trying to get some extra areas of wildflower meadow established. This has been made much easier by purchase of a rotavator! Last year's sowings seem successful so we've followed the same plan this year. We've also planted some trays of wildflower seedlings donated by a supporter, and also 15 oak trees grown from our own acorns and protected in the greenhouse over the winter from enthusiastic squirrels.

The bluebells have been fantastic - just past their best now, but other plants are starting to flower including large drifts of greater stitchwort.

We are just trying to deal with damage to the lower coppice - something likes our bamboo canes and some of the young trees have been collateral damage!

docsquid

Postby RichardKing » Sat May 22, 2010 6:15 am

Hosted a SWA woodland visit last weekend. Went well, the bluebells were amazing.

Collected birch brash for pea sticks.

Traded in my old land Rover. It was 25 years old & the chassis was rusted beyond repair.

Had the "new" one built to my spec. The basis was a 15 year old Land Rover completely rebuilt onto a galvanised steel chassis. Same type of reliable 300 tdi engine.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Mon May 24, 2010 4:39 pm

A lot of sitting in the wood watching things grow. Tomorrow we have a school group coming to learn navigation and shelter building skills.

Fun!

tracy

Postby Rich » Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Likewise I've been enjoying the bluebells, think they might just be starting to keel over now, but have been fantastic this year. Also have been enjoying the cant we cut 2 seasons ago. The herb layer is fantastic if every you wanted to illustrate the increase in biodiversity, by comparing it with an uncut cant. It's not just about bluebells once you start coppicing! Only slight problem is that some of the new hazel we gapped up with is being eaten by caterpillars :-( I don't know... you invite people over and what do they do.........!

Also finished the chestnut bridge over the stream into the newly cut cant, except it's not really a stream anymore!

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby John H » Sun May 30, 2010 5:58 pm

I am here in the woods till Wed so hope to get quite a bit done. I have split quite a few logs but could not empty the trailer as a wren has decided to make it`s nest there this year, at least it is not in the tractor cab.

Milled 4 nice ash logs that I got from my neighbouring farmer.

The trees I planted in the Feb are desparate for rain,what has happened to the Welsh weather?

Tomorrow I plan to move some stone to increase my area of hardstanding so I have more room to store logs.

John

John H

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 pm

The last day in May saw us visit the wood and count the caterpillars as they ate the new leaves on hazel saplings that we had planted in this spring, thought I was only concerned about deer and squirells? Oh well!!

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby adam » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Unfortunately I only managed one short day in my little woodland during May. I patched up the access track again with another couple of tonnes of gravel and cleared away some of the encroaching growth. Finally for the 1st time I managed to drive all the way into the woodland without getting my 4x4 stuck :-) Progress but the recent dry weather helped a fair bit!

Away from woodland I've finished drafting a management plan and have requested permission from the local authority (the woodland is covered by a TPO) for a 5 year program of work based on it. I'm eagerly awaiting a decision.

Adam.

adam

Postby MartinD » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 am

Adam - have you got a woodland improvement grant from the FC? This would normally include a felling licence, which 'trumps' the TPO, as well as providing some funding towards the work. The FC have also been helpful in shaping the plan of action, and will automatically liaise with the council where a TPO is in place.

MartinD

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi even if you do not have an improvement grant (sometimes more effort than value) the felling licence from FC trumps the TPO If you need a template for a management plan I have one you could adapt, I'm not saying its any good but councils and FC have no problem with it

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby adam » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I've not yet spoken with the FC, but suspect it may be a good idea regardless of the TPO. I did find a management plan template from the FC and loosly based mine on it ... to be honest I quite enjoyed the process and think it will help keep me on track and may help as a starting point for if/when I reach out to the FC.

I've spoken to the tree officer at the local authority and am fairly hopeful it will get approved. Assuming it doesit should give me enough scope to keep me busy for the next 5 years :-)

Adam.

adam

Next

Return to General