Small Woodland Owners' Group

An appeal to woodland owners from a disabled woodland lover

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby harveycowe » Sun May 30, 2010 11:43 am

My wife, four-year-old son and myself are looking for somewhere to park our motor home for a couple of days.. I am a disabled person and use an electric wheelchair to get around after acquiring a spinal cord injury 25 years ago due to a car accident. I have always enjoyed nature, especially woodland, although it is now difficult to find anywhere that is wheelchair accessible. I would love to be able to wake up one morning in the middle of a forest. Do you know where we could advertise to ask any woodland owners whether they would allow us to park on their land for a couple of nights in the summer?

All the best,

Harvey

harveycowe

Postby tracy » Sun May 30, 2010 4:49 pm

This is a good place to ask! Where in the country are you looking and how large is your motorhome? Owners would need to know your access needs.

All the best, Tracy

tracy

Postby docsquid » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:39 am

Harvey, our woodland is partially wheelchair accessible using an off-road wheelchair - we have some roadstone tracks and some that are mowed grass that are fine in summer, not so good in winter. We don't have any toilets, running water or electricity, but if you can cope with that, you could come and visit us and park your motorhome in our lovely little oak woodland. The woods are accessible straight off a road, and are near to the M42. When developing access around the site we were keen to think of the needs of disabled people, while preserving its value for wildlife - this came from my Mum having MS and using a wheelchair.

docsquid

Postby MartinD » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:21 am

My woodland is not accessible, but there must be some commercial caravan sites which fit the bill - one of these at least is Skelwith Fold, near Hawkshead in the Lake District. This is a site within an old woodland - you are certainly able to wake up within a forest.

MartinD

Postby Kentish Man » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:54 pm

There's definitely a few suitable caravan sites in the New Forest, although as we went quite a few years ago to visit family who were staying there for a few days, I'm unsure what the name of the site we went to was called, so sorry!

Kentish Man

Return to General