Small Woodland Owners' Group

Black Smithy charcoal

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby greyman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:05 am

Does any one have an idea of indicative prices per Kilo for charcoal suitable for Black Smithing? I have a customer for the larger size finings from our kiln but can't find any pricing info.

Greyman

greyman

Postby carlight » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 pm

hmmmm , interesting . - would have thought that it's got to be worth the same ,per kilo , as bbq charcoal ? my small gradeout (>12 mm) ends up with the dust in old feed sacks under a tarp . am waiting for the world market for this commodity to boom ,and will then sell it and retire !

if the buyer wanted the small chips but not the dust ,then i would up the price ,considering the extra faff .

(best i've heard of for dust/finings/gradeout is to sell it as horticutural charcoal )

cheers

carlight

Postby greyman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks for that!

I've just sold some this weekend - in 10Kg bag fulls for £1 a Kilo as had nothing else to go on. Looking at 'coke' suitable for the forge it seems to come in at .50/.60p a kilo when you buy it in .5 or 1 tonne loads.

We grade out in fine/dust then approx 25mm (inch old money)as it goes down the grader, so it is a clean commodity and ready to bag.

Greyman

greyman

Return to General