Small Woodland Owners' Group

Changed Perspectives

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Henrietta » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:39 am

I wonder how many of us have changed the perspective of our plans for the woods since we acquired them, I know I have. After my initial wandering about the wood in a slightly dazed condition, not believing that this lovely wood actually belonged to me, I started to make plans, in what might be considered practical and a slightly commercial manner, (somewhat due to reading up on forestry and arranging two meetings with a representative from the Forestry Commision) I started cutting out dead wood and slashing at Bracken like a woman demented. It would be true to say that the dead wood has proved very beneficial for keeping us warm and cooking our food, via the woodstove and ancient Rayburn.

At the back of my mind I was always wary of doing something I could not undue later, and abstained from cutting down all the smaller Birch trees that I was advised to do. They die off bit by bit anyway and give us brilliant fire wood. I'm sure I should be doing more to "organise the woodland", but it doesn't feel right to disturb the wildlife and insects that live there. I spend a lot of my time sitting and listening to the birds and trying to spot them, or wandering around with the camera looking for insects and butterflies.

I would love to know how other people have managed, whether you have stuck with your initial plans or have changed them altogether.

Henrietta

Postby tracy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:46 pm

From all the people I have spoken to -hundreds - I can say that everyone has changed their minds in some way and - might be worth mentioning that dead wood is one of the most important habitats in a woodland - so where safe, you might want to leave it ;-)

Enjoy!

tracy

Postby Kentish Man » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:23 pm

As someone who is still interested in buying an area of woodland, I'm constantly wondering should I be lucky enough to attain my dream, what would I do with it (apart from simply enjoy it!)...so I'm interested in the answers to your question.

The main thing I keep coming back to when mulling over the idea of being a woodland owner is the central question "What can we, as custodians of the land do to improve it, that Nature on its own, can't?".

Improvement is a very subjective notion and one piece of land can have an infinite number of permutations, so sifting through what is an improvement can be difficult, especially when noticing that another permutation may be more of an improvement half-way through making a change based on one of the many ideas that you may have had to begin with.

Perhaps as with Nature, there is no perfect design to strive towards implementing and maintaining. Perhaps the best thing is to observe and work with Nature in order to strengthen it.

Kentish Man

Postby Exeldama » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 am

Improvement..... i think you can . The piece i own is part of a larger area that was in my view messed around with by various individuals and companies over many years. This left it fighting back to the point where nature is now begining to reclaim it herself and re-establishing her own balance. However it is a slow process in may ways so i am doing my best to speed it up a bit and rectify some of the damage.

WHY..? Because i would like my children and myslef to experience the changes and see it enriched again with the diversity that this particular area once did and would naturally attain in the future, ...........before i turn to dust.

Exeldama

Postby DaveTaz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Improvement.........can only be achieved if you know what you have in the first place, what you want it to be ultimately and how you plan to get there.

Very few of us, if any, will be fortunate enough to be working in woodlands that have never been interfered with in the past and so we have to use "nature" to our advantage in terms of meeting the needs of woodland improvement.

The "ideal scenario" surely should be for all woodland to be given the opportunity to revert back to what it was like before it was interfered with - but that would mean a complete ecosystem change (bring back bears, wolves beavers etc etc!). Active management is the order of the day and when you achieve any of your objectives then an improvement ha taken place

DaveTaz

Return to General