Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bunnies!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 pm

The bunnies are beating me. The debris netting i put up has seen 7 holes in the last week. I've concluded that debris netting is good and cheap at keeping out deer but not rabbits.

I've seen around building sites and motorways polythene sheet used as fencing at a metre high. I'm assuming that this is to keep off rabbits. So I've ordered some and see if this works.

I'm looking a easier and cheaper alternative to chicken wire.

Darren

Postby Stephen1 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Darren

Are you sure the polythene sheet fencing you're seeing around building sites and road construction isn't newt fencing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_fencing

I find a relatively easy way to fence out rabbits is to set up a top and bottom wire tensioned using gripples;

http://www.gripple.com/products/catalogue/agricultural/products/

And then attach so called 'hedge bottom' wire netting to the wires using pig rings and their pliers. Very easy, very quick and relatively easy to reuse somewhere else a few years later.

Failing that a .22 and a large collection of rabbit recipes!

Stephen1

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks Stephen.

You are probably right about the newt fencing.

If the polythene doesn't work I'll try the hedge bottom fencing. I'm having trouble finding hedge bottom fence online, do you have a link?

Darren

Postby Catweazle » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:07 pm

You need a pest controller. Let me know and I can put you in touch with someone who will shoot your rabbits for free. Benefits include not obstructing badgers and other wildlife with a polythene fence.

Catweazle

Postby jillybean » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 am

Why is shooting them not a good idea? If the numbers are growing faster that natural predation can control then shooting is often the most humane thing one can do.

jillybean

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Polythene sheet has been up for three weeks and no holes.

Darren

Return to General