Small Woodland Owners' Group

Brushcutter Shredder Blade

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Stephen1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:34 am

Has anyone used a brushcutter with a shredder blade? (horizontal two armed blade but turns downwards 90 degrees at the tips)

If so what size brushcutter (HP/Kw/cc) have you used it with, and what has it worked well on? I'd love to find something that could be used to easily/ quickly make very light brash just lie closer to the ground - but would still be interested to hear anyone's experience using one to mulch vegetation in general.

Stephen

Stephen1

Postby RichardKing » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:08 pm

I have a Stihl Combi KM100, which is 31.4cc

Have not used your type of shredder blade, but recently fitted a Brogio chain head to mine

Its awsome, smashes up everything in sight.

Far more effective than the Stihl two bladed cutter.

RichardKing

Postby RichardKing » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:31 pm

You might be interested in this link.

http://www.brogio.co.uk

In terms of engine power, my cutter is quite powerful & adequate,

However with hindsight I think that I would go for the slightly more powerful model

RichardKing

Postby Stephen1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks Richard that looked just the job! Very excited for a few minutes but a google search failed to find anywhere I could buy one, then found that there has recently been a fatal accident with them. A chain link flew off, passed upwards through the throat of a user and lodged in his brain killing him instantly. It seems they have been banned from sale in the UK.

Obviously more of a tradgedy for the family of the killed man, but I have to admit to being dissappointed as they really looked like they'd have done what I needed really well.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/brushcutters.htm

Stephen1

Postby Stephen1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Actually it seems it wasn't the person using the flail that was killed but his work partner who was hit by the damaged chain link.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/17363-brogio-flail-head.html

But thanks again for the suggestion.

Stephen1

Postby RichardKing » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Thats a shame.

I guess the term "devastating" used on the Brogio website to describe its performance was accurate.

I will only be using mine down the woods when there is nobody else about & will check for wear on the links.

RichardKing

Postby James M » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:40 pm

I have one I used with the ryobi petrol strimmer, it works on momentum rather than engine power, starts slow but builds up speed then keeps it going.

Great on bracken, bounces off heather, but tends to fling brash around rather than mulch it.

James M

Postby RichardKing » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Works well on Birch brash entangled with brambles.

RichardKing

Return to General