Small Woodland Owners' Group

Access for Dormouse surveys - Aylesbury Vale

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Davellanarius » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi all,

My name is Dave Parsons, I run the Oxfordshire Mammal Group. I run a number of monitoring sites for the National Dormouse Monitoring Scheme – these are primarily in South Oxon. However, when looking at coverage of woodlands at the landscape scale there is quite a large gap between these woodlands and woodlands further north. As such I was wondering if you would be able to help me secure access to a number of woodlands in the Aylesbury Vale (not Oxon, but that doesn't matter?).

The woods I am interested in are:

Doddershall Wood;

Tittershall Wood;

Gravenhill Wood;

Whitecrossgreen Wood;

Little Wood;

Grenvilles Wood;

Any similar around this area.

In the first instance I would hope to conduct a number of ‘nut-hunt’ searches looking for hard-mast fruits showing evidence that dormice were present– for this I would hope to use volunteers from the Mammal Group. If we find positives and if access allows, then I would hope to secure funding for boxes for long-term monitoring.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Dave Parsons.

Davellanarius

Postby tracy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Dave

Thanks for being in touch. Could we put something about this in our newsletter, it has a wide readership.

Tracy

tracy

Postby Davellanarius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks Tracy, that would be good.

I now have contact details fro Whitecross Green Wood; this is a BBOWT site, but still don't know about the others.

Best regards,

Dave.

Davellanarius

Return to General