Small Woodland Owners' Group

Gloves

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby coppiceer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:17 am

Can anyone recommend a good pair of gloves for coppice work?

I am looking for a pair that are waterproof, insulated, hardwearing and flexible. I need them particularly for those first couple of hours on a winter's morning when everything is wet through and freezing cold to the touch.

I have seen a pair of HELD K2 Everest gloves from Getgeared but at £74 I thought it prudent to ask others' opinions first.

Alan.

coppiceer

Postby tracy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi Coppiceer, welcome!

we used to use chainsaw leather gloves until we found that they were very slippery when wet. Now we use cheap ones that have a rubber palm and cotton outside - works fine for us! Get 5 pairs for a pound at our local market!

Tracy

tracy

Postby woodbodger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:19 pm

I wait until it has warmed up. I did find some really good yellow leather gloves that were for sale by a dealer at an agricultural sale and bought 10 pairs of them 8 more left to go.

woodbodger

Postby jillybean » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:07 pm

I love those yellow leather gloves. they had some in the stores in Rye train station.

jillybean

Postby Rich » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:34 pm

I use the same type as Tracy. (though must be getting ripped off at £1.50 a pair!) Although they are waterproof on the front, they breathe easily on the back, if you had totally waterproof gloves I think you'd probably get very wet and sweaty from the inside. Cold hands or cold anything for that matter has never been an issue for me, it's such hard work I find I'm continually overheating no matter how cold it is!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby rogerspianocat » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:52 pm

I wear a stout leather glove on my left hand and a thin latex-palmed glove on the right. I got into this rather odd habit when thinning young pines in a densely brambly area of my wood, where I need swinging tools and Silky in my right, but some sort of thorn protection. I suppose I'll have to change, or I'll end up with loads of useless odd gloves when these wear out!

rogerspianocat

Postby John H » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 am

I am with Tracy and Rich. I bought a load on ebay, when I can't find a pair to wear I just get a new pair of the shelf. I now have a pile of 9 used left hand gloves . What happened to all the right hand ones I just don't know!

John H

Postby docsquid » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:43 pm

I got some Stihl gloves - they aren't chainsaw gloves but they are flexible and waterproof. They were about £35 and last much longer than cheaper rigger gloves and are warmer too.

docsquid

Postby James M » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Welders gloves from ebay. Made of suede, comfy and soft inside, go right up to your elbow, fireproof and as tough as old boots. Cheap too. I never use anything else.

James M

Postby coppiceer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated. I shall probably try them all.

I have been using a motorbike gauntlet on my right hand as they are hardest-wearing when gripping rough stakes and a ski-glove in my left(I am left-handed) for best grip when cutting. Health and safety always say not to wear a glove or your billhook will bury itself in your face, but I have 10-12,0000 rods to cut and clean so I have to start in the cold and damp and take the risk. All my gloves disintegrate after 6 months so I am becoming a bit of a glove-nerd.

coppiceer

Next

Return to General