Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bee (keeping) encouraging in Woodlands

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Hello

I do not have a use for honey but could I help bees to exist by encouraging them with hives in the woods?

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:47 pm

yes you can. There is lots of contradictory advice out there i.e don't put hive under trees because the rain drips on them, do put them under trees because it gives them shade in the mid day sun.

I had bees last year, but found it hard to source them this year.

Darren

Postby jillybean » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:30 am

I would like to explore beekeeping in my wood. unfortunately Badgers have decimated the underground hives, and I suppose any man made structures would need to be badger proof. perhaps we could get the British bee keeping swarm to give us a talk?

jillybean

Postby woodbodger » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Are we talking honey bees here? Apis mellifera Because they don't live in holes in the ground. They are originally a tree colonizing community of insects that do not thrive in the dank air on the woodland floor, up in the trees, where you can't control them, or on the southern edge of woodland fine. Unfortunately although Bees have survived unchanged for thousands of years; probably because of mankind's farming them for honey; they are parasitised by the Varoa mite and colonies are unlikely to survive without intervention. No need to go into the whys and where fors here but if you want Honey bees in your wood , find a local beekeeper. If it is any consolation there could be a lot of beekeepers looking for a permanent site for hives and bearing in mind other post about vandalism/ theft bees can be very good news around your tool shed! Badgers are the least of your problem.

woodbodger

Postby jillybean » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Im guessing they must have been some sort of miner Bee. they looked liked bumbles, but lived down little holes. there were about 6-15 per nest at a guess. the holes dug by the badgers were about a foot to two feet deep.they must have been going for the honey. the poor old bees hovered about for a day after then gave up. there are at least 15 holes in the wood that look like the same modus operandi of ol' Brock. Like the idea of guard bees!

jillybean

Postby wood troll » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:18 pm

I have not been on for a while and thought I must visit, there must be something going on.... the first thing is saw is you all talking about bees! I have taken up bee keeping this summer.

Not wanting to tempt anyone to another forum, but.... If you take a look at Phil Chandler’s site http://www.biobees.com/index.php and the related forum http://www.biobees.com/forum/ you will find a wealth of information on bee keeping in a cheap, home made and bee friendly way.

The Top Bar Hive (TBHive).

The crux of Phil’s approach is to abandon the Victorian method of making the bees conform to a box and frames of human design. Instead you let them build natural comb in a hive that is like their natural home, a log. Frames and wax forms are replaced by simple wooden bars that only act as a template for the bee’s natural comb building instincts. These top bars can be lifted out for inspection of the colony and collection of honey (ours tastes fabulous). There is a lot more to the ethos than this but it comes down to respecting the bees as living beings not just honey making machines.

I made my own TB hive from wood I planked myself and caught my first swarm just after mid summer (from 50’ up a pine tree, but that is another story). If you are after bees in your wood next year you could post an offer on the biobee forum and there might be someone in your area that is looking for a place to keep a hive.

On the subject of miner bees jillybean, we have them here in France and the badgers do not touch them. In fact they have a huge amount of colonies about 15’ from one of the set entrances!

wood troll

Postby cstocks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:37 am

I've kept bees in my woodland for years (and I'll be selling some of my honey at the Weald Woodfair on 17/9/10!).

I don't use top bar hives, but my local beekeeping association has a few members that do. I've had mixed success with the bees in woodland, though it's never been disastrous. I've always had a honey crop, and haven't needed to bring bees in from outside my apiary (though there are occasional Winter losses).

Don't forget, honey can be used to make mead, and if you enjoy crafts you'll get a reaonable amount of beeswax each year; honey for eating isn't the only produce.

With regard to badgers, or other wildlife, the only damaging animal in, my experience, is people. Far from the hives being a deterrent to those inclined to mischief they seem to be an attraction. I've had to stake my hive stands to the ground, and use ratchet straps to hold the hives onto them. Otherwise, the hives get pushed over, which could prove fatal to the colonies.

If you're at the Woodfair on Friday 17/9/10 and are interested in beekeeping, pop by and have a word (and buy some honey.....!)

cstocks

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Hello CStocks

Thanks would be nice to meet and discuss. Was planning to go to Bentleys. Are you there all days?

You could email me at [email protected]

B and T

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to General