Small Woodland Owners' Group

Squirrel Mindset...

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby MartreCycle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:13 am

I am seeing squirrel de-barking damage on birch.

Not so much strips of bark - more 'neat' bands about 2 inches in height where bark has been removed about 4 metres off the ground.

Question - Do squirrels come back to to the same ring barked tree or will they pick on another tree. ?

The thinking behind this question - I could cut down the ring barked tree - which may mean the squirrels go to another undamaged tree altenatively I could leave the ring barked tree as a sacrificial tree.

Any evidence to support either of the Squirrels' Mindset welcome.

MartreCycle

Postby rogerspianocat » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Mind? Mmm...

I heard that they return to the same tree because once the bark is damaged it will keep bleeding. Therefore best to put thick grease on the tree and a water butt at the bottom (and don't tell RSPCA). Just joking, honest!

rogerspianocat

Postby jillybean » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 pm

I dont think Squirrels have a tree damage plan,or any particular preference. they are as free as the wind, and strip the bark off whatever takes their fancy. willy nilly.

jillybean

Postby woodbodger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:30 pm

I think this is terrible you don't know that it was a squirrel, did you see it and even if you did could you pick it out in an identity parade. They have there animal rights . I hope the R.S.P.C.A . think that I am on their side now!

woodbodger

Postby jillybean » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 pm

well, Yes could have been a giraffe....

jillybean

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:56 pm

I think it was Stephen who said that Squirrels debark trees because they mark there territory when there numbers are high.

Darren

Postby Meadowcopse » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:11 pm

I have found myself looking at more and more grey squirrel recipes recently.

I lose a substantial quantity of walnuts each year (although gain a small selection of random walnut saplings).

Apart from tree damage, I've had areas of under-felt ripped from the inside of a tiled roof and cables chewed through.

A Deli in Bristol has it available on their menu and last time I was in Salisbury I found myself distracted by the BSA Lightning .22 Tactical in the local gun & outdoor clothing shop...

Meadowcopse

Postby Rich » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:34 am

I think they are better slow cooked, I have tried them bbq'd but they tend to be on the tough side. Earlier on this year when I was trapping regularly I would make a woodland hot pot of wild garlic, nettles and squirrel, quite yummy and I'm sure healthy. The cats enjoyed them too, although very time consuming for the amount of meat and very difficult to skin compared to a rabbit.

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Stephen1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Yep as Darren said - and I know I do go on about it! - but bark stripping by grey squirrel isn't primarily a feeding behaviour, it's now thought to be a essentially territorial marking and follows antagonistic interactions between individuals.

It's true that at the time of year stripping mainly occurs there is little of what is perceived as 'squirrel food' about (i.e. nuts and seeds) but they eat buds and insects too, so no they're not particularly hungry or short of food. If it was related to food shortages then of course the simple answer would be to provide them with a food supply - a few cheap sacks of wheat or barley dished out at intervals into feeders and the problem would be solved. Don't be tempted to try it! It causes an increase in bark stripping. Squirrels flock in for the easy food, so you get a high density of indivduals, which means they come into contact with each other more frequently - so more interactions and more stand offs followed by both going off and bark stripping.

There isn't always the need for control though. Sweet chestnut can heal very dramatic squirrel damage (assuming it's not all the way around the stem)and if the tree is destined for firewood or just going to be allowed to grow out its natural life then why bother? If you're growing for timber then squirrel control just can't be avoided.

The Kania traps are expensive but built to last and very effective (and I believe humane). Definitely Slow cooking is best (we like them with rosemary), but also cajun style!

This might sound grim but if you go through a lot of squirrels in a year it's very good!

Squirrel liver pate (modified from Anthony Worrel Thompson)

Keep a large reseable feezer bag in the freezer add the squirrel livers to it over the season as you go!

Ingredients

175g/6oz unsalted butter, softened

40-50 squirrel livers, trimmed and cleaned (defrosted) (you could make up the difference with rabbit or chicken if you don't have enough squirrel approx. 450grams needed- but squirrel IS better!)

2 shallots, finely chopped

1 tsp soft thyme leaves

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 tbsp brandy

2 tsp anchovy essence

½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

55g/2oz clarified butter, melted

Preparation method

Heat 15g/½oz of the butter in a frying pan until foaming.

Add half the livers and fry quickly on all sides until golden, but still pink in the middle, about 4-5 minutes.

Repeat with a second batch of butter and livers.

Place the livers and juices in a food processor.

In the same pan heat another 15g/½oz butter, add the shallot, thyme and garlic, and cook over a moderate heat until the shallot is soft but not coloured.

Add the brandy, anchovy essence and pepper, and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any coagulated juices.

Place everything in the food processor, including the remaining unsalted butter. Blend until smooth.

If you want a very smooth pâté, pass the mixture through a fine sieve and put in a bowl. Cover with the cling film, cool then refrigerate. If not using within 48 hours, cover the top with clarified butter.

Stephen1

Return to General