Small Woodland Owners' Group

Fungi

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Steve Medlock » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 am

I could be wrong but it looks like a good year for fungi. At the woods on Sunday, I couldn't believe the amount and size of fungi that had appeared since I was last there.

I seem to have forgotten a lot of what I learned last year though and couldn't identify many of them. I even took a couple home and compared them to my book and was still stumped!

Steve.

Steve Medlock

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:44 am

Our Wood was a foragers delights if only we knew what they all were and if edible or not.

Went to our wood and Long Wood (Hampshire) at Weekend and found Shaggy Parasols and Death Caps within a few meters of each other.

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Rich » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 am

Hi Bernie,

Yeah I guess if we don't remember anything else from the weekend, we ought to be able to recognise that Death Cap! I'll post pictures in the next day or two.

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:55 am

Sorry, can't add photos so relying on yours as camera battery went dead after 2 shots, just found it in my jacket pocket I had at Lords Wood.

I often go into a room and forget what I have gone for?? It will come to all of us.

B

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby cagsley » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:04 pm

It has been a great year in our wood too. Last weekend came home with a carrier full of birch and bay boletus. The kids cooked a load as garlic mushrooms for our lunch and we dried the rest as they are excellent for mushroom risotto.Yum Yum. We did a course before eating any as we wern't sure and recommend http://www.woodcraftschool.co.uk/ highly. Unfortunately for the 2 years after the course there were no signs of funghi. But now loads.

Craig

cagsley

Postby Steve Medlock » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:19 pm

I did notice that all the boletus (at least I think thats what they are!) seem to get munched into quite quickly. I'm assuming this is due to slugs.

Steve Medlock

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Hello

Why are lots of mushrooms up ended? Are they turned over by animals or do they fall over?

They are on their tops.

B and T

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby tracy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:50 am

New fungi website

Thanks to the RFS update for this link!

Fascinating fungi

Arbtalk has launched the latest edition of its tree fungi directory at

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-fungi.html.

Although this is still a ‘work in progress’, it already contains details of most of the

common fungi, and provides a wealth of images and advice.

tracy

Return to General