Small Woodland Owners' Group

Need help starting out

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby bevanr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:48 pm

My name is Rhys and I have started towards a career as a green woodworker. At the moment i travel around different place working for food and board but this poses a problem in practising my skills. I am looking for a nice person to let me have a little area in their woodland in order to practice my skills and have a bender/caravan to live in. In return I will be more than happy to work at coppicing or similar work. I am a hard worker and I learn quickly. I would love an oppurtunity to practice what I love.

bevanr

Postby tracy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:30 pm

good to hear from you Rhys and I hope someone can help. Living in the wood is rather difficult, as the law is somewhat fuzzy on it!

Best wishes with it

Tracy

tracy

Postby cinimod » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Ben Law took on an apprentice I believe, but may be able to help you, if you ask;

http://www.ben-law.co.uk/education.html

cinimod

Postby carlight » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:11 pm

hi ,

A "seasonally employed forestry worker" may live in the woods . From my attempts ,talking to council planners , there is no definition of that "season" bit .So , felling season could be followed by extraction season by processing / craft season ,followed by drinking the profits season , whatever .

Eventually ,notice may be served .

May i suggest to the op that few folk will make a long term offer straight of . One really needs to propose a short stay ,to begin with .

It may be an idea to contact hippy-type communities ,with a set of proposed products .

good luck .

ps - try "igomango" / "v project" -they take on volunteer crew - they won't teach you anything worthwhile ,in my opinion, but it's an "in" to one aspect of your desired aspirations .

carlight

Postby wood troll » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:10 am

Hi Rhys,

It's good to hear that you are looking to start up green wood working. We could be interested in you working here if you are prepared to travel a couple of hundred miles south over the channel into France.

If you are interested please let us know and we can talk further.

Regards, Wood Troll

wood troll

Postby bevanr » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Wood Troll: Do you have a bit more information about exactly where in France? I probably wouldn't want o say there full time as I'm not sure what my girlfriend would think to living in France. However my Dad lives in just outside of Limoges and I am going to visit him some time in November/December and would love to come and check your place out and help out a bit on the way?

Carlight: Thanks for the information about the living in a woodland I'm sure that will come in handy if I find any trouble. I have considered communities but they always seem to be involved in lots of different things and I would like to be a bit more focussed.

bevanr

Postby woodbodger » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:18 pm

In this modern world which we rub up against making hurdles just does not do it; no one really needs them these days, to cut it you have to go one better: can you make rustic furniture / stick back chairs?

woodbodger

Postby wood troll » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Rhys,

Coming to visit us seems like a good plan if you are over here already.

I think it would be a good idea if we started corresponding by e-mail rather than through the forum. Could you send Tracy (I hope that is OK with you Tracy) an e-mail to be forwarded on to me? To give you a rough idea of our location... we are between Saumur and Le Mans.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Wood Troll

wood troll

Return to General