Small Woodland Owners' Group

APF Show Cannock

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby docsquid » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:19 am

Is anybody going to the APF Show at Cannock this week/weekend? We'll be there tomorrow if any other SWOG members are also going and would like to meet up. We're after looking at a whole lot of equipment including a new chainsaw, plus talking to the Forestry Commission about our new field that is soon to be woodland/wildflower meadow.

docsquid

Postby docsquid » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:05 pm

Well, we went today and it was really excellent! Lots of brilliant kit on display, lots of demonstrations and a rather dented bank balance. Got a really good quote for one of the new Stihl lightweight carving chainsaws for me. Stephen bought an Alaskan Sawmill which he's been hankering after for ages. We both bought camo jackets for wildlife photography, and some camo cloth to make a hide. We also got a storm kettle as although we have a stove in the building, our new bit of woodland is a fair way from that, and we'll need a way of making a brew while planting up this winter without having to walk 1/2 mile back to the building.

Not much in the way of woodcrafts on offer, but then this was a different type of show.

Well worth a visit if you are able to go.

docsquid

Postby woodlander » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:41 pm

I Agree well worth a visit interesting how much more wood fuel equipment than two years ago and grapples everwhere. Did anyone else see the automatic chain sharpner on the Stihl stand ?It fitted over the end of the bar and chain like a glove and you rev the engine for 4 seconds to sharpen the chain ,the demo involved cutting into the ground and concrete blocks (it made you wince )then running this gizmo and showing it cutting wood again .Currently only available for 3/8 low profile and less .Down side you have to buy a special chain and bar and after I think 10 sharpenings you need a new chain at £20 a pop If you go, dont forget to take your entrance tickets to the main Stihl stand they are running a draw on the numbers one of our group won some chainsaw gloves .

woodlander

Postby woodlander » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 am

Correction the Powersharp chain sharpner was on the Oregon stand not Stihl.

woodlander

Postby Meadowcopse » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:07 am

Had an interesting day and a minor dent in the spending pocket...

Meadowcopse

Postby treebloke » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Docsquid - I spent an hour watching the woodcrafts, there must have been at least 20 stands.

Went on thursday and didn't manage to see it all so went back again Saturday and bought a Hakki Pilke processor.

treebloke

Postby docsquid » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 am

I thought the chain sharpening thingy from Oregon looked pretty good too. When and if we need a new bar and chain, it is something to think about. At the moment we just take our chains to the local equipment supplier to get them machine sharpened as it is only just down the road, he doesn't charge us much, and he does a much better job than we can do with a hand file.

I guess I meant that the woodcrafts section was relatively small when compared with other woodfairs that I've visited - but it was still interesting! We spent ages there, mainly sampling tea from the storm kettle stand, and then buying one, and talking to the chap doing the basketwork.

docsquid

Return to General