Small Woodland Owners' Group

Urban TR70

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby woodlander » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Anyone see this at the APF it just seems such a great way to use all that brash we all generate and not bad value at £2800 between a few like minded .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SVa0kjvKFQ&p=2505006CD8F5B5F8&playnext=1&index=21

woodlander

Postby jillybean » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Im Sorry, that guy who looks like a Gangsta is just mashing coppice poles. Theres no mixed brash going in there at all. they've all been carefully prepared, and as for him holding that thick one and staring into Camera .... Well.

jillybean

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:29 am

it's a very small stuff for firewood. I'd be forever feeding the fire.

Darren

Postby woodbodger » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 am

I love the look of this machine and would think it would be a practical investment for providing fuel for a wood fired boiler, just chuck in the whole bag of bits, brilliant.

woodbodger

Postby docsquid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes, I think it looks good too, but at £2.8k a tad expensive for one woodland owner to afford! There is a real market for small firewood processing implements that run off a tractor PTO, either shredders, chippers, splitters, or this machine that turns things into small bits for a boiler.

Maybe one day....!

docsquid

Postby DaveTaz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:31 am

Seems odd that people are obsessed with turning everything into a product or trying to find a way of disposing unwanted waste - why not simply pile it up and leave it for the wildlife to use. We have huge piles of beech brash in our wood left over from felling operations - this makes very valuable nesting habitat for thrushes and the like.

This machine can't handle anything with foliage on it and the time taken to remove it could be spent more productively on other things.

DaveTaz

Postby woodlander » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:22 am

Would you not leave it for 12 months for the wildlife and let the leaves fall off by which time it should be fairly dry .

Working on the 'if it pays it stays 'principle, no doubt there are for more neglected woods than well managed ones .

It would work well in those big fireboxes on gasifying boilers or could the bags be sold to power stations they seem to buy those brash bales happily ?

I get your point though Jillybean the gangsta does look very pleased with his measurement, be interesting to see how it handles ordinary brash .

woodlander

Postby woodlander » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:53 pm

It seems there is a big market for these machines in Slovenia and Poland ,as there are many on Youtube most look home made have a look at the safety shorts on this operator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Rk47sV2zk&feature=related makes you wonder why we need these massive tractors to run chippers when you see what they do with small tractors and even one with a 7.5 horse Briggs and Stratton

woodlander

Postby jillybean » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Hahahaha thats a great clip, that thing is really mashing! looks nicely homemade too.

DaveTaz, There has to be a limit to what you can just pile up. For not much grows through huge piles of brash, and if I left the brash from 70 tonnes of wood removed from my land last year for the wildlife, it (the wildlife) would avoid the dry tangled mess and go hang out on the track. Ive got brash piles over 10 years old, and its not as good an environment as standing dead wood or leaf litter. my birds nest in live hedges and treetops,or forks and holes in old trees.

jillybean

Return to General