Small Woodland Owners' Group

History

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:40 am

Delving into some info and history regarding boundaries, track access and land use for my plot - I stumbled on some wider areas of land history than I expected:

From around 1412... http://www.british-history.ac.uk/

"Chester. C. 6242. Pledge by Madoc ap Madoc ap Gruffud to Hugh de Eggerton of all his lands in the town of Crwe by Farondon, to hold from year to year as security for the repayment of 60s. Michaelmas 13 Henry IV. Endorsed, Crew juxta Fernedon. Seal."

I also have an attack on a mediaeval castle across the river from my field during the English Civil War, the site of a Roman villa 1/2 a mile away at the end of the access track (still a large farm / house), a 'lost' road and river crossing, 924 King Edward the elder dies near here, the 2 sons of Grufydd ab Madoc, Lord of Dinas Brân deliberately drowned by their English guardians in the River Dee here around the mid 1200s.

From the late 1700s to 1850s, the County Archivist's have legal and transactional details and notes of surrounding farmland available for viewing and there is also an 1830s Tithe Map detailing plots and their owners.

All rather interesting...

Meadowcopse

Return to General