Small Woodland Owners' Group

Coppice Association, yes or no??

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Toby Allen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:41 pm

What do you think?

Worth the hassle, or a waste of time?

Are get togethers enough or do we need to lobby and campaign?

Do the hazel and chestnut industries have too many differences to be in one group?

Just for cutters/producers or for all stake holders, including conservation groups, owners, managers etc.?

Toby Allen

Postby coppiceer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Hello Toby,

I had 2 people ring me last week about sweet chestnut and hazel rods for making hurdles; as I can't grow chestnut on my site I passed then on to you.

Are you in any coppice association? I wonder what such an association might do at the moment?

I would like to join something but all the people seem to be either in the southeast or the celtic heartlands.

coppiceer

Postby Toby Allen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for passing people on, hopefully they'll ring soon.

We just got back from the 2nd coppice conference in west sussex, where one of the subjects disscussed was the formation of some kind of national group.

This idea has been around for a while, local groups have been popping up around the country (with help from the swa, thankyou), there are also groups like this one and informal networks of workers, producers etc. The idea is they send a representative to a meeting next month to debate whether to set up a national body and how to go about it.

Personally I like the idea of having a network of those from all walks of the coppice industry, with regular gatherings to see what we are all upto and discuss any issues. But I dont feel we need anything too formal, or structured. The thought of a commitee meeting to decide what is or isnt best practice, coming up with rules and standards makes me shudder....Especially if all the members of the coppice family aren't represented for one reason or another. Which would be a shame. A full time cutters opinions are just as valid as a conservation group, woodland owner or hurdle maker.

Toby Allen

Postby DaveTaz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Coppice association north west has been around for some time (and is quite active) and has a committee with rules and regulations - this is unavoidable, unfortunately. I guess local or regional groups are the way forward due to geographical differences, markets, trends, travel to meetings etc

Even an informal set-up will eventually require some body to lead it and organise things. The only way of doing this fairly is to elect some one, etc etc etc.

DaveTaz

Postby tracy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:27 pm

There is a great write up of the conference on Mark's blog

http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com/

(and loads more good stuff there too!)

tracy

Postby Darren » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:30 pm

I joined the Sussex and Surrey coppice this year. I've enjoyed it, plenty of networking, courses and knowledge sharing.

Darren

Postby coppiceer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks for posting the link about the write-up of the conference Tracy; it was very informative and useful.

I must make the effort to attend any further such gathering, they are too important an opportunity to miss.

coppiceer

Return to General