Small Woodland Owners' Group

Recipes for apples!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby old smithy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:57 am

Anyone got a novel recipes for apples? We have a huge amount from our 3 apple trees and are currently madly making, crumbles, pies, pickles, relishes etc. Any ideas as to how we can make them go even further most welcome!

old smithy

Postby splodger » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm

i have made small quantities of apple wine for the first time this year - so why not try a bit of booze making - i could post a link to some recipes if you are interested

you could always just freeze the apples uncooked - so that you can use them as and when required - if you peel and core and cut into slices - pop into a bowl of slightly salted water (this stops them from going brown) - then drain and bag up - pop them straight in the freezer - keeps for over a year - and not cooking

splodger

Postby davetb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi,

How does apple wine differ from cider ?

Dave

davetb

Postby splodger » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:49 pm

hi davetb

apple wine is supposed to be very good - but i haven't made any before - this is my first try at making it - so i will let you know

i imagine that it has the clarity and cleanness of a nice white wine - with a hint of cider undertones

splodger

Postby rogerspianocat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:26 pm

You could try leathers. Peel and core the apples and remove bruises. Chop small and cook till mushy - this will vary depending on variety. Press through sieve. Add some sweetness if you want / need - sugar not best, cos it crystallises, so honey or something will do. Spread it on cling film on a baking sheet about 2mm thick. Put it in the oven at bed time at 60C and take it out in the morning, by which time it should be dry and rubbery. Roll it up and cut it into strips and keep it in a jar, or if you've done lots, freeze some. Also mix in some other fruits for colour and flavour - anything will do. They're great lunch box snacks for the kids too.

rogerspianocat

Postby wood troll » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 pm

You could also make pectin stock for next year's jam making. Though it is better with under-ripe apples.

There is also a very good 'Elsass apple tart' which is a bit like a sweet apple quiche. If anyone wants the recipe please ask and I will translate and post it.

Then there is storing the perfect apples in a cool place for the Winter.

We are making cider though we are cheating now we have a 30 liter press and a hand cranked apple grater. However as we have 8 apple trees we are in an even 'worse' situation than you!

PS the leathers are brilliant... especially with some raspberries.

wood troll

Return to General