Small Woodland Owners' Group

woodlands for sale question ?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby MartreCycle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Not sure if this acceptable so asking first...

I sometimes see woodlands advertised in local newpapers -

in the interest of spreading the word - is it okay to post details of the seller ( agent ) onto this forum on the basis that folk looking for woods might get here as well ?

MartreCycle

Postby tracy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Probably best not to. Although we are an independent group it is sponsored by woodlands. Co. Uk and so best not to confuse matters!

tracy

Postby Catweazle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:56 am

Why not ? If woodlands.co.uk are offering a valuable service they have nothing to worry about. A bit of competition is a good thing.

Catweazle

Postby MartinD » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:11 pm

I agree with Catweazle - obviously not any direct competitors with woodlands.co.uk, but can't see the problem with local one-off type sale - woodlands might even end up buying it!

MartinD

Postby Exeldama » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Ditto... keep people on their toes... as said ocassional adverts can only foster interest and provide oppurtunity for Woodlands.co.uk to consider as well.

Exeldama

Postby davetb » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Maybe I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate but I agree with Tracy. Like houses, woodlands are usually sold through agents to achieve a best price, for seller and agent. The abuse potential for all woodlands appearing on this site would be huge. I looked ( and visited ) many woodlands through woodlands.co.uk but ended up buying a woodland through another ( probably more commercial agent ). I still value this site, and the information available on woodlands.co.uk. None of us would object to an owner trying to find a like minded buyer through this site, however I suspect these would be rare and the more commercial elements would use the service for free. Sadly there is a discrepancy between what we'd like to happen and what actually happens.

Davetb

davetb

Postby wrekin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:20 pm

I think either option of allowing or banning ads for woods that are up for sale is reasonable. If they're allowed, then adding a dedicated forum (or modifying the sharing woods forum?) would be a good idea.

However, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that any topics are off limits because woodlands.co.uk support SWOG.

http://hutters.uk - Woods, huts, cabins, sheds, forestry
wrekin

Postby tracy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Wrekin, no topics are off limits, I just think that a certain amount of politeness might come into play here: after all, they are paying for the website, the newsletter, the costs of the meetings and funding several part times jobs to achieve all of this.

SWOG is free to all members because of their generosity...

tracy

Postby davetb » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 pm

The company who sponsor the site do not abuse it and advertise their woodlands for sale on it. I do not think it is censorship to ban other peoples ads on the site. We tolerate the odd quad bike or axe for sale. There is no debate or discussion related to a woodland for sale, but all other topics are reasonable.

davetb

Return to General