Small Woodland Owners' Group

squirrel damage

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby tobyphair » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:21 am

just a quicky... seeing as we are now in the winter months and not so many leaves on the trees ( except some oaks in certain places) you should if you have them be able to see squirrels runing around and gavering food for the (i dare say) colder weather! nows the perfect time to manage your squirrel problem before they start ring barking in the spring. i shoot and was wundering if any of you dont want the expense or to actuly do it i am willing to shoot them for you ( i would need writen permision to shoot on your land just incase someone complains to the police) i am insured to shoot and have beeing shooting for 15 years so if any ones is intrested just let me know.

cheers

toby

tobyphair

Postby Rich » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi Toby,

Nothing excites us more than talking about squirrels, I'm sure there'll be plenty of debate to follow! Personally I''m going to wait till March to start trapping. I read recently that control at this time of year can be a bit of a wasted effort as it creates a 'squirrel vacuum'. This is a bit like a giant dyson but invisible, it sucks in neighbouring squirrels, sharpens their teeth and lets them fight it out on our most treasured trees!

Anyway I'm sure there's plenty more views and metaphors to explore for that matter.

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby John H » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Welsh rabbit are my problem. Probably a bit far for you to travel though.

John

John H

Postby Meadowcopse » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:15 am

I have two grey squirrels that are going in a casserole today, I'll report back later as to how it goes...

Meadowcopse

Postby tobyphair » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:52 pm

hi rich

yes that is true about the vaccum but its easier to see the tree rats when theres no leaves on the trees! the best trap i have ever used for them is a live cage trap but other ones do the trick!

tobyphair

Postby Meadowcopse » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Gutted, paws & head removed then lightly roasted after rolling in walnut oil, honey and dried herbs on a bed of rosemary - not quite fully cooked, then into a pot on a bed of leeks and onion with chopped turnip, mushrooms, carrot, cherry tomatoes, hint of chopped garlic and a sauce topped up with red wine and the lid put on and slowly cooked with increasing heat for a couple of hours...

Fantastic, a subtle flavour reminiscent of venison and the texture of chicken, a little picky in places - but preferable to rabbit in my opinion...

Meadowcopse

Postby happybonzo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:52 am

So what does everyone reccomend for getting rid of Squrrels?

I am not going to eat the things; you only have to travel in some States of the US to see what that can do to you.

Shotgun ammunition is expensive.

.22 rim fire goes through and lands somewhere it isn't welcomed - LOL

Air rifles? An FAC air rifle in .25 perhaps?

So what is best or what have you had the best results with?

happybonzo

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:40 pm

I was tempted to get a new .22 air rifle, the FX Verminator looks good, but I might make do with a BSA Lightening at half the cost.

If the grey squirrels were even more troublesome, I'd certainly look towards 'tobyfair' or someone local and take a couple for the pot...

Meadowcopse

Postby Catweazle » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 pm

If you need a local shooter, experienced and insured, put a request here;

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

or if you prefer let me know and I'll do it for you. I'm a keen shooter myself, but squirrel control was getting too much as I work full time, so I got some help from the above forum. A local retired man has done a great job on squirrels for me, and keeps an eye on my woods.

Catweazle

Postby Rich » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Hello Happy Bonzo,

Plenty of info here from a SWOG workshop a couple of years ago.

http://www.swog.org.uk/events/grey-squirrel-control-workshop/

I don't think there's one specific solution, you have to weigh up the pros and cons of each method and go with that. I've ended up trapping using the cages, which is time consuming and they need checking by law every 24 hours, I usually do it twice a day. It suits my circumstance as we live right by the wood we manage and taking time out every morning and evening to walk round as the spring awakens really seems to put me in touch with the wood.

cheers

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Next

Return to General