Small Woodland Owners' Group

Felling begins in earnest

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby jillybean » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:31 pm

Spent a long day operating a winch whilst my woodsman felled 20 odd mature trees by the roadside. we could only operate the traffic lights between 9.30 and 3.30 so it was a bit stressy .I know it will do the Wood good eventually but it was heart wrenching to see the mighty oaks fall.

the wood looks like its been burgled . :{

jillybean

Postby tobyphair » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:41 pm

it is a shame to see mighty oaks fall but some times they have to go. i love felling these mighty giants !

tobyphair

Postby wood troll » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:39 am

So what are you doing with the wood? I feel less guilty when I fell these big oaks as I plank or beam the usable wood and convert the rest into firewood.

Over here in France they fell trees when they are ready to be used rather than letting them 'go over', so people do not get worked up about trees being felled as they see it as part of managing the land.

wood troll

Postby jillybean » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:17 am

We should be so lucky. because we had only a day to fell, and it was roasdside, it was not possible to de limb, and although He dropped them on smaller trees that had been felled the day before, almost all the oak has ring shake. My woodsman takes it for firewood, and anything he can salvage he does, he cut me two new chestnut gateposts, but to be honest, theres not many specimen trees there as its all so very badly overstood and squirrel damaged. still, I look forward to seeing the resurgence of the bluebells which should be quite spectacular.

jillybean

Return to General