Small Woodland Owners' Group

Thinning out Woodland

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Oliver » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:33 am

Hi

I have a small woodland in North Devon (about 17 acres) which has never been thinned out since it was planted in the 1970's.

At present the trees are about 4-5 foot apart and I am wanting to thin out the wood.

The trees are mainly Douglas Fir though there is also some larch and Spruce. Naturally at this age, they are fairly significant trees already.

Parts of the wood are planted on steep(ish) slopes which makes access a little more difficult.

What I would like to know is what the 'approximate' ball costs costs would be per m3 for the following activities:

1. Thinning/Felling the trees

2. Extraction of the trees

3. Wholesale value of the wood

Any feedback would be appreciated

Oliver

Postby tracy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Oliver

Good to hear from you. I am afraid that I can't help - I am sure others can though!

I think you will find most people can't quote until they know loads more though. You might want to get 3 - 4 different foresters in to see their quotes. A lot depends on the terrain and access.

We will all be interested to know what kinds of answers you get!

best wishes

Tracy

tracy

Postby Oliver » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks Tracey

Yes we are looking at getting some quotes, but at this stage I have no idea if the costs would £5/m3 or £100/m3 and I want to try and have some kind of idea of ball park costs before we start speaking to foresters so that we know that the quotes are in the right ball park.

My greatest fear is that as we have no experience at all is that we will get taken for a ride by the contractors!!

So if anyone is able to provide any kind rough costs that would be great.

Thanks again.

Oliver

Postby jillybean » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi Oliver, I was paid £250 to thin one acre of overstood mixed hardwood by the local firewood dealer.he took all the wood. obviously every wood is different. I dont think you will get a quote for square meters. thinning, and extraction are expensive and fiddley. if they cant get in with a tractor and forwarder, they just cant move it economically.Have you got tracks? Have you looked at woodlots? http://www.woodnet.org.uk/woodlots there may be someone who can help you there. You may find someone locally who is building with softwood. Also, the forestry commission can be helpful, but not always. good luck!

jillybean

Postby Oliver » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks Jilly

Yes there are tracks around the wood through which a tractor or similar could get around, though some winching would still be required to extract the wood.

I will have a look at woodlots.

Oliver

Postby tracy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:12 pm

A few other things to bear in mind:

Who is responsible for any damage and repair to your tracks.

Are they burning off brash, where will they site the fires and how many?

How can you ensure they leave a lovely clean and tidy site at the end?

I am hoping that someone on here will be able to recommend some foresters to you so that you know you won't have any problems....!

tracy

Postby carlight » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:14 pm

hi ,

1 . felling ,snedding ,x-cut ,stack ~£15-25 per m3.

2. forward to loading bay / roadside ~£10 per m3

2a. haulage to mill ~£8 per m3

3. value at mill, spruce/larch ~£40 per m3

douglas fir ~40-80 per m3

very steep slopes may require winching as pole lengths.

parts of whats left behind may fall over in the next wind.

more 'normally' , the thinnings would be bought by a 'timber buyer' ,who would arrange all the works / sales - at a total guess ,such a trader would be paying yourselves £1 per cube .

the fc would advise .

am in s devon ,but have an experienced colleague in holsworthy region of n devon , who could assist re suveying / felling licence .

hope this helps .

carlight

Postby carlight » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:25 pm

ps - just read the post above mine , i feel that with 17 acres of softwood thinnings , absolutely nobody will be doing anything other than leaving the lop n top where it falls ,except poss on the rides .

one could ensure that a lovely clean and tidy site was left by turning the trees to gold (/firewood!) and thus doubling all the above prices .

carlight

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:08 pm

If it's on steepish slopes it's going to cost more than on a level slope.

With under thinned trees such as yours you are bound to get wind throw when spaces are made.

Darren

Postby Oliver » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks Carlight that gives me some very useful information to be getting on with!

Oliver

Return to General