Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chain saw oils

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby carlight » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:34 pm

that's interesting - have heard of a possible carbon problem re using 25;1 rather than 50;1 ,may i ask what problems you are finding with saws run on a oil-heavy mix ? , other than the obvious fouled plug .

ta .

carlight

Postby tobyphair » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:46 pm

fouled up plugs carbon types deposits around the pistons i had one bloke say to me my saw (brand new) keeps working then cutting out so i took it and had a look at it to find he was putting neat petrol in it! some people!!

tobyphair

Postby Rich » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Stephen,

I'm not sure it's an 'economy' at all, false or otherwise. I can't seem to find veg oil any cheaper and most of the major brands are much more expensive!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby wood troll » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 pm

As Richard mentioned earlier there is a soluble vegetable chain oil. The only one I know of is Arborol by Oregon. I have been using it for over two years now and find it works very well.

The observations I would make are:-

1. It cools the chain during long sessions (planking with a rig), so much so that steam comes off the blade!

2.Lubricates as well as bio-oil but is light on the pump. I had to replace my MS660 chain oil pump twice when using bio-oil.

3.At a cost of under 15 euros per liter it is not expensive (it is mixed at 4:1 so makes 5liters of lubricant).

4.If you have a stream near where you are working you only have to carry a fifth of the weight of chainoil.

5.You only spray a fifth of the amount of oil around your worksight.

6.My OH claims I do not smell unpleasantly of oil when I have been chainsawing.

I would recommend you try it out.

wood troll

Postby Rich » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks Wood Troll,

For one moment I thought I'd missed a trick as I've been using Arborol chain oil but not diluting it! I see there are two types now, Arborol plus and Arborol 'ultimate'!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Previous

Return to General