Small Woodland Owners' Group

Visiting Woodlands

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby northmetking » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Does anyone know of anyone who would be prepared to let my wife and I visit their woodland and talk or learn about coppicing, making woodland crafts etc. We're planning on owning a woodland so it would be good to get some expert advice in before we actually get one.

northmetking

Postby Rich » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi there northmetking,

I'm sure someone will be pleased to help out, maybe if you say which area of the country your are in, someone could tee up with you. Also don't forget to check out SWOG events page, lots coming up where you will learn alot.

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby splodger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:07 am

where abouts are you? our little patch is on the hampshire / wiltshire border near romsey

my father is very knowledgeable and used to do a lot of teaching/training etc

as he loves to talk about wood i am sure that he would be pleased to help point you in the right direction

having said that - we do have quite a busy schedule over the next month or so - but i am sure he could see you on a weekend

splodger

Postby northmetking » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks splodger, that would be great if possible.

We're in Hertfordshire, but don't mind travelling.

We often go down to Christchurch for a weekend, so I'm sure we could work out something.

We're in no particular rush for it to be in the next month or so; just thought we'd see if we could meet up with someone with experience to perhaps point us in the right direction.

And thanks Rich, I'll definitely check out the events page. We're completely new to this, just trying to build up a bit of knowledge before we actually get a wood so we can hit the ground running and have a bit of a head start, really.

northmetking

Postby splodger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 pm

no probs northmetking - just give me a shout when you want to arrange a visit (it might be better if we exchanged emails nearer the time)

splodger

Postby tracy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:00 pm

If you do wish to exchange email addresses, let me or Rich know and we can do it for you without your addresses going up on the forum

T

tracy

Postby splodger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 pm

thanks tracy

splodger

Return to General