Small Woodland Owners' Group

Making planks from trees

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby happybonzo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 am

In the last few days I have had a beautiful Pear tree knocked over by the storms. The trunk measures some 16ft and is 24 inches in diameter

I know about chainsaw mills but couldn't justify the expense.

I cannot get a Tractor over the ground as it is in part of the garden and the ground is very soft: By the same token, any form of heavy mechanical handling is out.

Does anyone have any ideas for cutting it up into planks in situ?

happybonzo

Postby woodbodger » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 am

First it might be useful to decide what you would wish to make out of it! Pear is a creamy coloured close grained wood and can be very hard. Traditionally it was used for the teeth of cogs in gear wheels you could make several thousand out of this tree and you would only need to log it into pieces 6" long. It would be great for making Windsor chairs so it could be dissected into lengths suitable for this maximum length required about 60" for a bow. Final suggestion is that it would make some stunning Rustic coffee tables and few people would require one more than say 40" long either way logged up into 48" lengths would cover most projects and I would guess that as long as the butt was reasonable limb free it would rive fairly successfully provide you always aim to split it into two equal halves.

woodbodger

Postby John H » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Sounds like a job for my Lucas mill.

What part of the country are you in?

Any photos?

John

John H

Postby happybonzo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Near Snape in Suffolk

happybonzo

Return to General