Small Woodland Owners' Group

Planking and firewood equipment

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby rogerspianocat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm about to submit my management plan, which includes for removing 30% of 12 acres of 50 year old SP and NS in 5 years (80% long term), as well as some thinning among the natives and sycamore. I want to maximise return by processing the wood myself, but to do that I need use of a mobile mill and firewood (& kindling) processor. Apart from the small matter of finding the ££, I also have the problem of having nowhere to keep these machines and no vehicle to transport them. I've had a couple of ideas about possible ways forward (sharing/hiring/borrowing), but thought it might be a good idea to ask what others have done. I'd welcome any advice.

rogerspianocat

Postby wood troll » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi Roger,

I have gone down the route of chainsaw rig. It takes me about 20 mins to plank a 5m length (depending on type of wood and width).

The main requirement is a chainsaw of 5.5hp or over as it is a strain on less powerful machines. I have a Stihl 660 with a gruminette rig (French) they cost about 1200 euros a 3 years ago. On top of the rig you will need a straight sturdy unbendable plank as a guide for the first cut. Apart from the plank it all fits in the boot of a car.

I would love to buy a wood miser but the cost puts it out of my price range.

Wood Troll

wood troll

Postby jillybean » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:40 pm

That must be the perennial problem for small woodland owners. where do you leave you kit, how do you fell and process a large tree? and where do you season it. its why there are neglected woods everywhere. Even a winch and a saw costs over £1000, without a 4x4, rope, training, tractor, forwarder transport, sawmill, barn......and then it all gets stolen if you leave it in your wood.. dont set me off..something will have to give if were not to be dependent on government handouts forever...

jillybean

Postby treebloke » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:43 pm

I have a stihl chainsaw mill and also a Lumbermate, the chainsaw mill is hard work, noisy and wastes a lot of wood in comparison to the Lumbermate which is easy to use, much quieter and makes a better job.

The chainsaw mill can be taken home but the Lumbermate has a trailer kit so can be stored in a shipping container if you want to leave it in the wood or taken home.

The Lumbermate is for sale @ £4,000. we are buying a new one.

I have milled timber from my wood to make a 7m x 10m workshop, all I had to buy was the sheets for the roof.

If you would like to see it in action near Bridgnorth you are welcome.

treebloke

Postby rogerspianocat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:57 am

I'd love your lumbermate, but I've no shipping container. Perhaps I should get one - they came up on another thread v recently (containers, that is). Also not sure if I can stump up 4k just now. It's soooooo tempting!

rogerspianocat

Postby corylus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Logosol make cracking chainsaw mills. As for the extra waste when chainsaw milling against bandsaw milling, this really isnt an issue unless you were doing it on a commercial basis.

corylus

Postby Justyh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I am await delivery of a Forester CTR 710S sawmill and have sold off lots of my old milling kit. The only bit I have left to sell is a Logosol Big Mill Timberjig. See the link for further details;

http://www.logosol.co.uk/sawmills/big-mill-system/big-mill-timberjig.html

If this is of any use let me know and I send you some photos.

Justyh

Postby ncrawshaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

I bought a Makita 7901 chainsaw, 79cc and 20" blade; then my brother and I knocked up a milling framework from square section steel - its a bit heavy! But I milled up 100+ larch planks, 13ft long in order to build a one roomed cabin. Cutting the larch was fairly easy but the chestnut I planked up for the floor was harder work. When the chestnut gets older its quite hard, but cut fresh its easier. Make sure you get a milling chain with a 10 degree cutting angle.

ncrawshaw

Postby rogerspianocat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks all. Yes, it's a problem. That logosol stuff looks good certainly - Justyh, could you let me see some pics and say how much you want for your Timberjig? Might be up for that, though I'd have to get a MS660 or something to go with it (and the proper chains, as you say ncrawshaw).

rogerspianocat

Postby Justyh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi rogerspianocat, if you email me at [email protected] I'll send you some info.

ncrawshaw is indeed correct do not even try to use a normal chain!

Justyh

Next

Return to General