Small Woodland Owners' Group

quick coppice questions!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby jeh123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Hello,

I am currently doing a bit of brief research into coppicing for a university project, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of questions (which I have been struggling to find the answers to on the internet...they might just be really stupid questions!)

I seem to only be able to find information on restarting coppicing on the area of a neglected coppice, or planting new woodland. Is it possible to start up coppicing within existing woodland, such as an area of mainly oak and beech, where coppicing has not happened before? And if so, would this involve coppicing existing trees, or planting new ones between them? (apologies if there is a really obvious answer to this that I am missing!)

Also, if anyone could briefly describe to me the annual activities of managing a coppice woodland (e.g what time of year coppicing takes place, and what other management activities are done at different times during the rest of the year) that would be a great help!

Thank you for your help,

Jess

jeh123

Postby RichardKing » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:35 am

Coppicing of an existing woodland was the original method of creation of coppices up untill about the 18th century. Clearly this has a natural selection process within it, as some species respond well to being cut.

Will write when I have time.

RichardKing

Postby jeh123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:52 am

Thank you!

jeh123

Postby TrishaA » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Did you find information on planting new coppice woodland in your search? I must have been looking on the wrong websites or have missed the info I need!

TrishaA

Postby jeh123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:27 pm

I've just seen some mentions of it, nothing in a lot of detail that I can remember, sorry.

jeh123

Postby RichardKing » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

I dont what background reading you have been doing but I would suggest two books by oliver Rackham.

Ancient Woodland, Castlepoint Press, new 2003 edition,.

Woodlands, Collins 2006

Both contain a large number of references that you could follow up & come back with any further questions.

RichardKing

Postby Twybill » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 pm

You can start a coppice by cutting to the ground whatever is already there. Most native broadleaved trees will re-grow if treated in this way, sending out multiple new stems. It is unlikely anyone would coppice mature trees but younger, moderate diameter ones would do well.

Bear in mind that Beech will only respond if cut when quite young and even then it can often fail. It is a poor tree to attempt for reliable results. If you coppice Oak or Ash, do enough to create an open space with plenty of light for best results. Cutting one here and there will often make the regrowth poor or perhaps kill the tree for want of light.

By coppicing, the extra space and light will encourage self seeding of trees, so no need for planting.

Twybill

Postby Dennis » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:51 pm

To answer your question about the annual cycle: cut Autumn-Winter when the sap is not rising. Cutting should have stopped before birds nest for the season. Take a look at the PDF book at this link; it may answer some of your questions:http://www.woodlands.co.uk/owning-a-wood/books.php#badgers-beeches-and-blisters

Dennis

Return to General