Small Woodland Owners' Group

firewood.co.uk

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby davetb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:35 pm

I try to follow 10"(length) X 10cm (width).

The mixing of metric and imperial is a bit annoying, but easy to remember.

Dave

davetb

Postby loghouseman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Here in France, trees for small scale firewood production are logged into 1 meter lengths, split and then stacked to dry for the summer. The wood is sold by the "stere" which is 1 cubic meter of stacked wood off the woodpile. It is sold to the customer either in meter lengths, or cut in half -50cm, or cut into thirds -33cm. Most of the woodstoves that are available for sale here are of the correct dimensions to burn either 33cm or 50cm logs.

I have built a firewood cutting frame that you can see here 'http://myfrenchforest.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-make-firewood-cutting-frame.html' which holds half a cubic meter of stacked wood and cut it to the required length with the chainsaw and then throw it straight into the van for delivery.

Using the frame it can take me as little as 45 minutes (often a bit longer) to cut and load 2 cubic meters of stacked wood cut at 50cm and an additional 20-30 minutes when the wood is cut into 33cm pieces.

As a meter length I find that the wood dries pretty well and the pieces can be easily handled even in their unsplit state (mostly!)

Michael

loghouseman

Postby woodlander » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:35 am

There was some talk of a Hetas standard for logs based around 8 inches I recall anyone heard any more ?

woodlander

Previous

Return to General