Small Woodland Owners' Group

A very eventful visit to the woods

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby docsquid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Now, you know how I keep trying to have a quiet day. Well, first bit was good. Then when Stephen got back I went to the woods. All I had to to was pick up ScroteCam#1 (we call our security/wildlife cameras Scrote Cam, as you do), and bring it back to charge up the batteries and fill the seed feeders for the little flying chickens AKA blue tits. Not difficult. Not eventful. 30 mins maximum.

Except, of course, this is me, and nothing is ever quite as simple as it seems. First of all I moved ScroteCam#2 to see if I could pick up more piccies of the wildlife in that bit of the woods. Didn't check the piccies, just moved it and changed the SD card. Then I headed down to ScroteCam#3. This was its first night in the woods, so I was just checking to see if it worked. Except that it had captured a bloke in a motorcycle helmet walking round the coppice at 6.30 last night, not long after I'd left - he was a very long way from anywhere he could legally park a motorcycle or quad, so why on Earth did he have his helmet on? I always took my helmet off as soon as I got off the bike! Hmmmm. I spoke to Stephen and we agreed to replace ScroteCam#2 to cover the main crossroads in the wood in case they come back on quads or off road bikes. Just as I was on the phone I heard shouts coming from the bottom end of the wood by the canal, so I headed off down there.

It turned out that a dog (rottweiler) had fallen into the canal. People had been trying to rescue him but he was stuck on a narrow ledge, and getting colder and weaker. He'd been in there the best part of 3/4 hour, poor chap. Some folk had made the long walk from the towpath through the neighbouring farm to try and help and we pinched a rope and tried to pull him out, but , bless him, although he was trying, he was too weak and cold. So the bloke, Rob, got into the canal (YUK) and between us we managed to push and haul him out. He was a lovely, lovely doggy. Very cold, shivering, but very grateful and waggy. By then there was quite a crowd on the towpath opposite us, and we all phoned everybody we could think of, and I phoned the warden at the local nature reserve but he wasn't on duty, however he gave some suggestions as to where the dog might have come from. We made an improvised lead and the doggy had a lovely walkies up through the woods and then went into the building and dried off Rob and the doggy who'd been in the canal and gave the doggy some biscuits (he did a lovely sit and gave us his paw). Then there was some shouting from the neighbouring farm and it turned out that somebody had, through the grapevine, tracked down the owner and sent them to Alvecote Wood, but they turned off into the neighbouring farm instead. Happy person re-united with her doggy. Its collar had broken, he ran off, and then got himself stuck in the canal, poor thing. He was a rottweiler/alsatian cross - beautiful dog. All happy all round.

So, I pottered off to get ScroteCam#1 which was my original mission, about 2 hours later! The neighbouring farmer was spraying his crop, and he stopped for a chat. Said somebody had broken in through his gate and driven a vehicle around all over his crop. I told him we'd captured somebody with a motorcycle helmet on one of our cameras.

Finally got home, exhausted as I'd walked miles back and forth through the woodsHe and had all the doggy stuff to deal with. Downloaded the pictures to find that Mr Motorcycle Scrote had appeared on TWO of our cameras, and had been wandering around our glade and coppice. Pictures sent to Police, not that he is recognisable, except definitely the same person (same boots!). Second camera was set too low to get his head (I was looking for wildlife, not people). Also not admissible as evidence, but it would be interesting to see if they have had reports of similarly-attired people doing bad deeds elsewhere.

So there we are - a very eventful visit to the woods. If the SWOG newsletter is a bit behind schedule it is because I've been rescuing doggies and trying to catch intruders!

docsquid

Postby tracy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Wow, Doc, you sure have an eventful time - maybe you need to keep a dog to keep the baddies out?

Must admit, a couple of times when we have been coppicing, we have had dogs come running through the work area off leads and owners blissfully unaware. The mind boggles with the kinds of accidents that can happen when someone wielding a saw is surprised by an excited dog!

I also really, really dislike treating in their poop! (must say, that I am a dog lover!) but I don't like their poop all over my boots, tools, saw etc. I would be pleased if owners cleaned up after them - but in our experience they don't even clean it off the main public footpath. Ugh. We have children playing in our woodland and they can get such nasty diseases from it. Not sure there is anything we can do about it though...

tracy

Postby docsquid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I agree re doggie do's. To be fair, this dog was on a lead, and being legally walked on the towpath opposite our woods when his collar broke and he ran away. But we do get intruders with dogs in the woods and it worries me not only that they will cause an accident, but also that they will upset the ground-level wildlife that we've worked rather hard to encourage.

Woud love a doggy but with three cats and eight chickens that isn't practical at the moment.

docsquid

Postby John H » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:00 pm

docsquid

Well done for saving the dog and for posting the story.

I have been thinking of getting one of these scrote cams for some time. What do you have? There are some on Ebay for £145.

John

John H

Postby docsquid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 am

Hi John - we have a combination - we got a Bushnell Trophy Cam for wildlife and two cheaper ScoutGuard ones for scrotes - they still get an acceptable picture. Actually the one the intruder was caught on was on watch for badgers and not for people at all - didn't think they'd be anywhere near that bit of the wood. We'd rather be using cameras all the time for wildlife! We got the camo ones and they are really difficult to spot, even when you know they are there.

docsquid

Postby John H » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:02 am

Is this the sort of thing you have?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120667849032&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is it worth paying more for the Bushnell for wildlife shots?

Thanks John

John H

Postby docsquid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm

I haven't seen that one, John. The software is similar in all cameras that I have. The Bushnell Trophy Cam one has the advantage of one year battery life (yet to be determined), appreciably better optics/IR trigger and IR illumination for night shots, wider angle and longer range and a more sturdy construction. It is the one used by the BBC for their Springwatch programmes, and by professionals when stalking wildlife for filming, so I went with that one for wildlife. The standard version doesn't come with a viewing screen, but I just take a small digital camera and look at the pictures on the camera screen, as the screen is much better than the built-in version anyway. The others don't take bad shots at all but somehow their construction seems more flimsy. The switch on the ScoutGuard one is a bit flimsy and the other one (now no longer sold) has a battery life of less than a week, which is a real pain. They are all made in China, even the Bushnell one.

docsquid

Return to General