Small Woodland Owners' Group

Misconceptions

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby docsquid » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:25 am

Last night I went to a dinner held for a former colleague's retirement. There were quite a lot of pretty well-off folk there - we felt a bit scruffy and Wurzel Gummidge by comparison. There was a lot of interest in the woods and what we were doing, but quite a few misconceptions too.

First of all, there was the person who asked "who do you get to do all the work for you?" The idea, apparently, was that we own the wood, get in a gardener, some sort of servant or staff to do all the work, and then we swan along like the Lord of the Manor to enjoy it, and in the meantime get a return on our investment by improving land prices. It didn't seem to occur to anybody that we do it because we enjoy the physical work, the connection with the trees and with nature. That the whole pleasure of owning a wood is that you become part of the woodland, and that you can make a difference through your own efforts. No idea either that the investment that we are making is for the wildlife that lives there, the future of the trees that we have a privilege to care for, and the future enjoyment of generations of children.

Second misconception was regarding our recent efforts in planting 4500 trees. "Oh, well I suppose you can get a machine to help you do that?" "Yes" we replied, "it is called the Mark One Spade".

Anybody else got any similar stories to tell?

docsquid

Postby Exeldama » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Almost everyones first question to me is.."can you build a house on it?"

Exeldama

Postby docsquid » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:41 am

:-) Yes, we get that too. Actually we could - well, we could restore the derelict former shepherd's cottage in like manner, but it is only a one-room cottage and would be better as a visitor centre/classroom.

docsquid

Postby Meadowcopse » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 pm

"Can you build on there?"

Seems to be a pretty regular question to me too

Meadowcopse

Postby jennysmate » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:14 am

My Mum, bless her, visited my woods in the autumn and asked how on earth I was going to sweep up all those leaves.

jennysmate

Postby tracy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Brilliant Jenny - that is so funny!

tracy

Postby Nigel L » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:40 am

There is a house adjacent to the track that leads to my wood. To quote the owner "what do you want a wood for, I would rather go to Weymouth" :) takes all sorts....

Nigel L

Postby RichardKing » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:22 am

You may well laugh about "sweeping up the leaves", but there is a woodland owner very near to me who goes around making bonfires all over the place because "he is tidying up the mess".

RichardKing

Postby austino » Wed May 04, 2011 5:51 pm

The first question I get when asked about the woods is "What do you do for a toilet".

austino

Postby Hannah » Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 am

I'd like to try and bust some of these common myths with a new report about what owners of small woodlands do with their woods, if you are interested in helping me please see my recent post with my contact details.

Thanks!

Hannah

Hannah

Return to General