Small Woodland Owners' Group

suggestions for making useable planks?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby hornbeam_mad » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:54 am

Good morning everyone, it may be another one of my hairbrained ideas, but after my wardrobe fell apart I felt I wanted to make my own built in one. I have recently bought a new solid ash bed and thought that we have quite alot of it in the woods and it would be great to have everything matching. Could anyone tell me whats the cheapest/easiest way to convert standing trees into useable planks. I have a stihl chainsaw and remember seeing a jig thing that fits onto the saw but have no idea how effective they are. Sorry for the ramble, I get like that with these ideas. Any suggestions would be great even if its "dont bother" :)

hornbeam_mad

Postby woodlander » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:50 am

I have dealt with Logosol (logosol.co.uk) and found them very helpfull they do a jig to take a chainsaw which works well the basic one is labour intensive but well priced .if you have enough timber there are a number of contractors who will come on site and mill your timber for you .

woodlander

Postby John H » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:25 am

I would come to your wood and mill them for you. Either for a fee or for a percentage of the wood. Where abouts are you?

John

John H

Postby hornbeam_mad » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:57 am

Fantastic ill have a look at the jig later on. Im in Sharpthorne, west sussex but dont think id have enough wood to warrant a fee or give you a worthwile percentage, but thankyou.

hornbeam_mad

Postby Jez » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:26 am

also take a look at alaskanmill.co.uk.

I had a go the other day for my first time. I've not built anything yet but jut tried it out and wrote it up here. I'm still a novice at this stuff

http://woodlandjourney.co.uk/?p=449

I think it will mill down to 1/2"

Jez

Postby RichardKing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:34 am

If its straight grained then you can split it.

Then season it & plane to shape, or work it green

Get some steel wedges & a small (7lb) sledge hammer.

Ash splits very very easily, plan the job, working from one end.

It can take only seconds & minimal effort for even a large Ash log to be split from end to end.

And a minimal cost.

RichardKing

Return to General