Small Woodland Owners' Group

Best tool for felling pines

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby jennysmate » Sun May 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks all, especially Twybill for the detail. Looks like I need a course, or someone with me who knows whats what.

jennysmate

Postby Filbo » Sun May 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi Jennysmate,

Just a quick note from an amateur. If you want to find out how difficult it is to cut down a tree, have a look on YouTube. You can find quite a few 'good' videos showing what you need to consider. This may not do away with the need for training, but may help you decide whether tis better to spend a week or so sawing, chopping, wedging and more sawing or whether tis better to get a chainsaw and do it yourself in a day. Getting the tree down is just the start. If you are a true amateur then you will need to decide on the lengths of wood you can handle and move. This may make it worth, at least, discussing the cost of a professional. If you go down that route make sure you watch them like a hawk and gain the training.

I became a woodsman around the middle of Jamuary this year, but did quite a bit of research on tools etc. I have a brand new Stihl 391 chainsaw and the Stihl safety kit-in-a-bag. Around £800 and I have still to wear the chaps. My advice on the saftey gear would be Helmet with face-guard and ear difs attached, safety gloves and safety boots. The leggings and jacket are ideal if you are using the saw 24x7. But for once in a blue-moon users I can't see the necessity, just go steady.

Good luck.

Filbo

Postby RichardKing » Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 am

There is NO substitute for taking a proper training course.

Some of the stuff on Utube is dangerous & suicidal.

Chainsaw trousers should be worn EVERY TIME you pick up a saw.

"Luck" should NOT come into it

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Mon May 09, 2011 6:55 am

Definitely wear trousers! I would have had a serious leg injury a couple of years ago if I had not had mine on. I was finishing up a tree, and just quickly went to nick off a small twig with the saw - I didn't rev enough and the saw bounced straight back into my leg. Trousers stopped it dead. Trousers finished, Tracy not in a bleeding heap on the floor.

It was a very scary experience!

tracy

Postby The Barrowers » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 pm

It really does not matter if its pine or not.

Who would bet a leg against £200 of trousers and a pair of suitable boots?

Best of Luck to anyone who wishes to run a chainsaw at full revs and take the chance.

Please remember those left behind!!

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby docsquid » Mon May 09, 2011 8:36 pm

I'd definitely go along with the advice to get training on felling, with or without a chainsaw. Falling trees, even small ones, can kill you. A 1ft diameter tree can kill you if you get it wrong, even without the perils of a chainsaw. Without training and experience, I'd get an expert to fell such a tree for you, no question.

And the basic chainsaw course (maintenance and crosscutting) plus the small tree felling course would not be enough for a tree of this size. We didn't actually do a course, but have each had several days of one to one training from a tree surgeon who is also an instructor. I would not tackle such a tree, even with this training, although my husband is capable of doing so now.

Chainsaw trousers are also vital, as are appropriate gloves, helmet, face guard and hearing protection. I've had stuff fly up into my face (although thankfully not the chainsaw itself) were it not for the face shield.

docsquid

Postby DaveTaz » Tue May 10, 2011 7:08 am

There is a skill and an art to tree felling - no matter how small or large the tree is. If you have never felled a tree before you should learn how to do it from a professional, whether using powered tools or not. There are so many things to consider when felling a tree, not just what type of saw to use.

Professional foresters and tree surgeons are probably the safest chainsaw users you will find yet they tend to wear all the necessary PPE when using a chainsaw - for a very good reason - accidents do happen.

To any body felling trees or using any tools, be safe.

DaveTaz

Previous

Return to General