Small Woodland Owners' Group

Mains water supply in woods

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby old oak » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Our family love camping in the woods but are limited to short stays due to the lack of water - having to take it all with them. I've read the discussion about water butts etc but we have a water hydrant not far from our wood boundary and it seems a good idea to extend the supply to the boundary, which is only about 50 yds away.

Does anyone have experience of installing a mains water supply in their woods? Or does anyone have an existing supply? Do you have a standpipe and how do you protect it from frost and vandal damage. Do you pay basic water supply rates?

Any help/comments much appreciated.

old oak

Postby jillybean » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm

I had a mains supply in my wood when I bought it. I didn't realise what a convenience it was until I remembered how hard it was to fetch water having lived in a waterless windmill in Portugal for 3 years. It has been abused in the past, tales tell of how he tap was left on for a week by an intruder, but as I or my mates call in most days, and the tap is hidden I have little stress over it. its metered, and is vital for my shallow pond in times of drought as I see hoof prints and paw prints from all the woody critters who have come to rely on the water. my 2010 bill was £175.

jillybean

Postby old oak » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:37 pm

Thank you jillybean. We wouldn't be able to visit on a regular basis to check the tap but we could make sure ists well hidden and possibly in a locked construction.

old oak

Return to General