Small Woodland Owners' Group

Microbudget indie horror looking for woods to film in

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby wgprods » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi,

We are an independent film company, planning to film our first feature film, a horror comedy, in September/October this year. We are self-financed, and as such are trying to do it on as small a budget as possible whilst not skimping on quality. We plan to take the movie to the festival circuit, and we all really believe it will be a good, funny and different offering.

The movie is largely set in woods in Romania (though surprisingly, no vampires) but will be filmed in the UK, and whilst we have looked at a few woods, we still haven't found the perfect place to film it! Could your woodland be that place?

If anybody would be interested in assisting us with loaning/renting out your woodland, we would be eternally grateful - please get in touch for more information! We are a small non-disruptive crew, and very flexible to requirements.

We are also not adverse to a bit of quid pro quo - we're all young and (reasonably) fit, so if you need some strapping artsy types to help with work on your land in return, that could certainly be discussed.

We are based in London but willing to travel.

We can be reached on [email protected]

Kind regards,

WhoopGroop Productions

P.S.

We were recommended to try on this forum by Simon at woodlands.co.uk.

wgprods

Postby RichardKing » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am

Do you need a location that is complely free of the sound of traffic ?

or will you be re-recording the sound separately, which I think is the common practice ?

RichardKing

Postby jillybean » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 pm

would the lucky woodland owner get a cameo part? quick murder victim or some such?

jillybean

Postby wgprods » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:21 pm

RichardKing - Thanks for your reply! In terms of traffic noise, we have viewed places with a bit of ambient sound from a distance, which wasn't too bad, and some places that due to the layout of the land, acoustics etc were louder than they should have been, so the short answer is its really hard to judge without scouting the place - what someone else thinks is traffic noise might be fully acceptable, or it could be super loud. If you're interested I'd be more than happy to check in a bit more detail with our sound person! We won't be re-recording all the sound separately, only anything that doesn't quite work out on the day!

jillybean - I wish I could offer a cameo part, but alas its a script without any extras - we'd certainly be willing to offer other perks per interest though, set visits/wrap parties/screenings etc.

wgprods

Postby MartreCycle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:54 am

Hi wgprods

- good luck with your film -

Can you provide a clearer description of the wood you are looking for

eg woods can be:

dense , thickets , claustraphobic ?, airy, lush, barren

light, cavenous under a high tree cover

young - pole like trees,

old-massive structural stone like pillars

with sunlight / dark gloomy

with great views/ back drops

narrow paths / tracks/ wide 'rides'

always green for evergreens - if Sept/Oct - minus leaves

flat / steep / dry / boggy

if you can get back with a few specifics - this may help readers

I assume 'spooky' mist will be provided :)

MartreCycle

Postby wgprods » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi MartreCycle!

Thank you!

In terms of what woods we are looking for - we don't really want to narrow ourselves down, and if we described what we might like in too great detail I'd worry we might turn away somewhere perfect that isn't what we imagined, if that makes sense?

We're fairly open-minded to be honest and nothing we've seen has been turned down on 'look', it has all been practical issues, such as the whole terrain being too steep for the camera equipment and other similar things.

The main thing I suppose that we do need is some form of accessibility, i.e. tracks/paths, and some areas with a walkable forest floor - we've seen a few places with serious brambles, which would have made things quite difficult.

Spooky mist and a few hoots are always a requirement!

wgprods

Postby jillybean » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:58 pm

My wood is pretty bramble infested, but you can take a look on my website, (in need of updating) www.treedomwoods.co.uk

jillybean

Postby Catweazle » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:55 am

Is this any good ?

18 acres, 20 miles from London just off the A2.

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l539/ashenbank/

Catweazle

Postby wgprods » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:53 pm

jillybean - I will swing you an e-mail on the address from the website!

Catweazle - possibly, it's hard to say as the photos appear to be spring time - would you mind dropping us an e-mail on [email protected] and I can ask you some more questions!

wgprods

Return to General