Small Woodland Owners' Group

Ticks

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Henrietta » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 am

I think the doctor needs to be educated. A doctor should easily be able to remove a tick.

Henrietta

Postby Keith Williams » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Absolutely right, doctors aren't trained (not a criticism of them, it's the system) in a lot woodland problems, going to a vet would probably get better service!

Keith Williams

Postby happybonzo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:45 am

Slightly off topic but has anyone had a bite from a Jumping Spider? I got one recently on my left hand and it was B. painful. It took nearly a week to subside

When I asked at a chemists they looked at me as though I was pulling their leg when I asked for something to relieve the pain.

happybonzo

Postby tracy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:08 am

Keith, I was just thinking I would rather go to the vet for ticks! lol

tracy

Postby greyman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 am

Happy Bonzo,

Just a bit of Googling turned up info re 'jumping spiders but no mention of bites - however, the link to the Natural History Museum does list quite a few 'spider bite' cases: of course there are now the false widow and a few other interlopers that are responsible (so it seems) for other bites. I only know any of this from scurfing the net - it could all be wrong and some arachnid nerd will give us chapter and verse as to why it is a load of poop!

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/insects-spiders/identification-guides-and-keys/spider-bites/

Be kind to spiders - even if we do have some new invaders - the rest do sterling work allowing us men to be 5 minute hero's!

Greyman - from a very soggy West Sussex.

greyman

Postby happybonzo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:08 am

I got my bite in a quarry area that I'm restoring in North Devon. The farm adjacent to us didn't seem at all surprised and said that the little darlings are a well known local menace.

I have also encountered them in Woodlands around Petersfield, Hampshire.

I found that the bite took over w eek to subside and that the skin on the top of my hand looked like it was a very old persons hand - all wrinkly and shiney. After two weeks the skin had returned to normal

happybonzo

Previous

Return to General